cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give some gratuity before finishing the job

Armin K Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
1 of 9

Hello folks,

I cannot find out how to load more on my money account to give the freelancer some "tip" before he has finished the job.

I want to explain: I accepted a freelancer who has a one-time-fee, let me say 100 dollars.

The Upworks system debitted 100 dollar from my Paypal account. This is the sum I have

on my Upworks account.

The freelancer has started the work and I am very satisfied with his work. So I want to pay him an extra-sum

let me say 40 dollars but the Upworks system reduces my total account sum of 100 dollars with

40 dollars. But this was not my intention. I wanted to pay him EXTRA 40 dollars.

How can I do this?

Community Guru
Tarpinder S Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 9

Hi

As a client, You can give freelancer bonus.   Hope this solves your problem.

Tarpinder

3 of 9

Yes, I know.

But this reduces my total sum of 100 dollar and I cannot pay the freelancer the complete sum afterwards.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 9

Hi Armin,

When you click Release Funds next to the milestone, you can either select  "Edit the amount" on the new page and put a bigger amount like $140 in the field or you can check "Add a bonus" and put additional $40 into the field.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
5 of 9

Thank you very much.

This helped.

Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
6 of 9

Valeria,

Is the procedure the same for hourly jobs? A client asked me to "bill him more". Is there a bonus facility for hourly jobs as well? And can you point me to a link that I can give him to make it as straightforward as possible.

Thanks,

Gyan

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 9

There is really no difference between hourly and fixed-price contracts in terms of a client's ability to pay a bonus to a contractor.

Client can pay a bonus at any time and can pay any amount. Does not matter if contractor is working fixed-price or hourly.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Gyan,

Congrats on the ongoing work and delivering a great experience and work for your client! You can find detailed instructions on how to process bonus payments on Hourly jobs in this Help article.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 9

You know what's funny... I totally get that a bonus IS a gratuity. I guess.

But I REALLY dislike hearing it called that.

I have received bonuses, and I'm grateful to the clients who gave me a bonus. I certainly never asked for it.

In hindsight, I recognize that I did a lot more on some fixed-price projects than was ever agreed to, because I wanted the job done right. And I appreciate the clients recognizing that and giving me a bonus.

But I don't like to hear it called a gratuity because I'm not a waiter.

Maybe that makes me a snob, I don't know. No disrespect meant to waiters, but what I do is definitely not the same thing as what they do.

Also, if you go to a restaurant in the United States, paying a 15% tip/gratuity is pretty much expected.

If you hire a computer programmer, paying a gratuity is NOT expected. It is an extremely rare thing. Computer programmers (and any other Upwork contractor) should NOT expect a tip or gratuity. So I definitely prefer the term "bonus," because that helps make it more clear (at least to my mind) that there is no expectation whatsoever of receiving it. It shouldn't be customary to have to pay contractors more than what was agreed upon.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS