cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Guru, i need help to advice on my jobs

e1f658ac
dave t Member Since: Sep 28, 2016
1 of 9

i am going to build a online reporting platform, the budget is USD500, i found a freelancer accept the jobs, but i ask me to charge him by hourly base, and we set two week for this small case, so we set 20hour x USD 25 rate for this case, but after three week, he claim us more than 20hours, and his said the jobs cannot finish at all, need another 20 hours, this already double up our budget, i burn all budget but the jobs even no reached 50%, he said he unable to finish it, seem this is fraud initialy...

Sir, if i dispute this case, can i get back my money? He said he unable to finish it, but already claim me USD540!!! Please advice, urgent... this is my first time to find freelancer here, previously i am using elance platform, there are more secure for us to hire a freelancer, hope here also a friendly envoriment for us.

Regard.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

You can not get money back that you already paid to a freelancer.

If you are not satisfied with this developer's work, you should work with other people.

I think your biggest mistake was hiring only one person. You should have hired four, for two hours of work each, and then continued only working with the one who provides the best value and the quality of work that best fits your project needs.

e1f658ac
3 of 9

1) "You can not get money back that you already paid to a freelancer." --- seem this platform insecure for clients 😞

2) "I think your biggest mistake was hiring only one person. You should have hired four, for two hours of work each" --- you mean i split the project to four person or hiri four person do same jobs then hire who provides the best value, then this might increase our budget due to double jobs? please advice...

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 9

Hi Dave,

I am sorry the contract with this freelancer hasn't worked as expected. At this point, you can pause the contract to prevent the freelancer from billing more hours and communicate with them about the terms and the work that has been delivered so far. You can discuss options of them delivering partial product for the money that has already been paid or refunding if they can't deliver the product.

On hourly contracts you can dispute based on hours billed, not the quality of the work. You can only dispute the hours billed during previous work week.

Please, refer to this help article for more information about disputes on hourly contracts and contact customer support if you need any further assistance.

~ Valeria
Upwork
e1f658ac
5 of 9

"On hourly contracts you can dispute based on hours billed, not the quality of the work. You can only dispute the hours billed during previous work week." --- when i looked back this guy billing, he bill me 6.5 hours for his try error, go google finding resource for setup the xampp server, dear, 6.5 x USD25/per hour, its cost me USD160 just for setting enviroment? but, if normally we dont checking his work diaries daily, cause sometime he claim 20minute, 30 minute per day, can screen shot wont feel anything wrongly, but when we study the whole week diaries, only can find the something wrong, in this case, i feel been cheating....

This is the first time work with upwork, is a bad experience, hope can get protection from upwork to clients. Even i file the dispute, also cannot get back partial money from freelancer? Please advice...

Regard.

e1f658ac
6 of 9

this not friendly to clients.... we are not doing charity..... i spend usd 500 for get noting.... like i want to build a house for my family member, after he claimed all my budget, he said sorry, the house only can stay ONE person, dear sir, do you thing this consider finish partialment jobs?? NO!! cause i have to destroy the whole and rebuild again!! So same thing happen in my case, who know the house he build only can stay one person? Until the deadline only we know, but he already claim from us, then you said cannot get refund due to it is hourly base jobs..... you are kiding us... 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 9

Dave, Upwork has two distinct types of contracts:

1) Hourly contracts, where the client pays the freelancer for their time spent. Like Valeria said, you cannot dispute this time based on the quality of the outcome, and you are paying for all the time the freelancer needs to spend on your project. This is best for large, difficult-to-scope projects, or for ongoing support-type projects.

2) Fixed price contracts, where the client pays the freelancer for a specific deliverable or set of deliverables. In this case the freelancer has to spend as much or as little time required to deliver the specified outcome to the expected standard. This is best for projects where the scope and the deliverable/s are clearly defined. You don't have to release payment until you have received the deliverable/s and are happy with the outcome.

In your case, I think you made a mistake by switching the job to hourly and by not severely limiting the hours spent until you could review the work. You have a limited time where you can dispute hours for hourly jobs if the hours were not spent on your job. In this case it sounds like they hours were spent on your job, you just weren't happy with the way the freelancer was spending the time. I think you probably would have been better of sticking with a fixed price contract for this job as it gives you more control.

Unfortunately, it's too late for that now. If the freelancer is saying they cannot finish the job, you need to end the contract and find someone else. And learn from this experience.

e1f658ac
8 of 9

"Unfortunately, it's too late for that now. If the freelancer is saying they cannot finish the job, you need to end the contract and find someone else. And learn from this experience" ---- as learning cost? are you kidding me?? This seem a fraud case for new client like us.... how do you know they can finish the jobs or not, at least system need to let us approve they spend that much time, cause screen shot only 10 min once....

Really cannot dispute this case? now i spend usd 540 can get "NOTHING", is really, "Nothing"!! this is the cost we have to pay for we using this platform? 

Any customer service here can give us a proper advice before we note dispute.....?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 9

Hi Dave,

Please refer to Valeria's reply above and note that you can use the Dispute button on your contract page to initiate a dispute for the hours your freelancer logged last week if you can't resolve the problem directly with your freelancer.

I see you already paused the contract and have taken the proper steps by reaching out to your freelancer for an explanation. I checked and see your freelancer used the Team app to track their work, and hasn't logged any manual time since the contract started on September 2.

You can read more about Upwork's Hourly Protection for clients and feel free to share all the details about this contract in the dispute form.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS