🐈
» Forums » Clients » HI ALL! How's everyone's safety hiring an EBA...
Page options
c701b7d7
Community Member

HI ALL! How's everyone's safety hiring an EBAY LISTER for the first time? NEW client here, THX!

Hello all, mind for a quick advice / personal suggestions?

I have been browsing both from upwork/fivver erc, and looking to hire a talent as ebay product lister whos mostly based from the Phlippines/Asia and been thinking a decision for a long time if its safe and worth to hire VA for my small business.

I am wondering what is my protection against dishonest talent in case a sensitive personal info (bank account/hacked) was taken? The concealment of personal/bank info is my biggest concern. How was the experience of everyone especially the first timers? Aside from good qualification and portfolio

Thanks everyone!

10 REPLIES 10
759e32fa

Hello Val,

Welcome to Upwork! Upwork Payment Protection adds a level of security to payment processing for hourly and fixed-price projects, allowing clients and freelancers to collaborate on projects with peace of mind.

We recommend you check this article for more information about our payment protection for clients and freelancers.

~ AJ
Upwork

What I meant was if the VA is using my eBay account while making drafts when I authorized them to access my account. How does that work ? Do I give them my log in information with password ? Or any other way where they can only access my eBay account to make draft listings... pls let me know 

That is a question for Ebay, not Upwork. Upwork isn't a concierge service and isn't responsible if you hire an unethical freelancer. Also, there is no reasonable way to setup any system that would offer the protection that you seek, because it is all about a third-party website.

Regarding confidence, there are many IT, management, and sales freelancers that regularly require partially or fully credentialed access to their clients' systems or accounts to do the jobs for which they are hired. There are also scammers posing as freelancers who would love nothing more than to run away with all of your money. There will always be risk. But practicing good hiring strategies and tactics can minimize that risk immensely.

YOURE TAKING IT WAY TOO FAR! Don't brush me off too critically bro - when you said this isnt a concierge service and isnt responsible for dishonest freelance. Like cmon im not stoopid! You also did not answer my main concern. Read my main question again. I already know and aware everything you just said but it was irrelevant . I do not need a full scope or philiosophy talk about the nature of hiring a VA and risks that comes with it - I was asking a very specific question.

I was mainly asking how was everyone's experience especially the first timer's hiring a VA in general from this platform and how they manage or oversee their sensitive infos with the VA (especially knowing you're a first time/newly registered client), and what kind of protection do I get in case a dishonest talent take advantage off of me. I know I have to share my log in credentials but also every company always have some kind of dispute or protection they can do against those type of people.

I may have mentioned eBay as an example but the root of my main question is giving the VA an access to all my selling platforms accounts via Upwork and how trustworthy they are with my bank/personal info

I did answer your main question: there is no protection. But Preston answered it much better.

I've been an eBay virtual assistant for 2 years, and I'm currently running USA-based accounts, including one that's TOP rated. Let me use my experience to help boost your eBay success! and about your question about how to give access to the freelancer in ebay there is an option in setting :

permission.PNG

here in the permission option you can add the email of your employee and then select accesses you want to give your emplloyee like listings,drafting,order processing etc and the invitation is send to your employee email address from there he will able to use your ebay screen in there ebay account and not able to see any personal info like bank detail.

I've been an eBay virtual assistant for 2 years, and I'm currently running USA-based accounts, including one that's TOP rated. Let me use my experience to help boost your eBay success! and about your question about how to give access to the freelancer in ebay there is an option in setting :

permission.PNG

here in the permission option you can add the email of your employee and then select accesses you want to give your emplloyee like listings,drafting,order processing etc and the invitation is send to your employee email address from there he will able to use your ebay screen in there ebay account and not able to see any personal info like bank detail etc

yofazza
Community Member

any other way where they can only access my eBay account to make draft listings

I'm no eBay user but I think the feature is available: https://www.ebay.com/help/account/multiuser-account-access/multiuser-account-access?id=5197

prestonhunter
Community Member

Welcome to Upwork, new client!

I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork. I think it is a great tool. I highly recommend it.

I think it is very important for clients to understand that Upwork does not offer "protection" for eBay or anything else.

If you hire a freelancer on Upwork to work on your eBay account, that's awesome.

If the freelancer "hacks" your eBay account or makes mistakes or does something dishonest, then that is between you and the freelancer. That has nothing to do with Upwork. Upwork has no buttons that let you "prevent" a freelancer from doing something dishonest. But you CAN INDEED fire an Upwork freelancer at any time.

There ARE ways to maintain proper control over your eBay account and properly delegate authority to others. You can read about that on eBay's website.

baizeed98
Community Member

Hi, 

I just saw your post. And I believe you have already got your answers and solutions too. 😊

Let me tell you one thing, you will never be hacked after hiring an freelancer through Upwork until you share your D.O.B / any persoanl information that can cause you a big harm. 

So never share any of your data which are not necessary when a freelancer is making Lists/Marketing/Collecting Leads etc. 

Try to hire some freelancer who already have some 5* ratings from related projects contracts. This will be easier for you to understand whether the worker will scam you or not. 

Like me, 
I am a Digital Marketing Expert and when I start a marketing project I always ask for a limited details NOT DATA of any site or ID. I never share any of my past work files with any upcoming new clients/people when they ask me for my previous work file as Example. 

Because every client's files are confidential to me only. 

Thank you

Latest Articles
Learning Paths