🐈
» Forums » Clients » HOW DO I _EVER_ GET MY ESCROW REFUND ????
Page options
3735a5b9
Community Member

HOW DO I _EVER_ GET MY ESCROW REFUND ????

How do I get my Escrow Refund on a Cancelled Job?????  OR perhaps just get someone from the supposed "Customer Service" to respond to one of my three messages to them?  The Freelancer (thief) disputed my Refund Request - to which I timely filed a response.  The Freelancer (thief) then "Withdrew his protes" --- as per the last message I got from UPwork.  Now the site shows the Refund Request in protest (whch it ain't), and the Protest Screen shows "NONE".   So --- where is 'limbo land' where my Refund IS?   

Would SOMEBODY tell me what the next step is - before I have to resort to my own methods for redress.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Norris:

When a fixed-price job is closed (or "cancelled"), all escrow money is refunded to you automatically. The money goes back into your funding account (typically a client's credit card) within 5 business days.

But closing a fixed-price contract or task with money still in escrow does require that the freelancer agree to the refund. Based on what you have described, the freelancer did not agree to the refund. This creates a "dispute."

If the freelancer withdrew his dispute, then the money should go back to you. How long has it been since that happened? If it has been more than 5 business days, then it is possible that the dispute mediator (an Upwork employee) has not yet clicked the correct button.

If you are not seeing any pending questions or requests for you to answer, then it would seem there is nothing that you are supposed to do... there is no "next step" for you. A customer support representative would need to intervene to finalize this. If we wait a bit, a Forum Mediator may intervene with this and get this in front of the right person.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Norris:

When a fixed-price job is closed (or "cancelled"), all escrow money is refunded to you automatically. The money goes back into your funding account (typically a client's credit card) within 5 business days.

But closing a fixed-price contract or task with money still in escrow does require that the freelancer agree to the refund. Based on what you have described, the freelancer did not agree to the refund. This creates a "dispute."

If the freelancer withdrew his dispute, then the money should go back to you. How long has it been since that happened? If it has been more than 5 business days, then it is possible that the dispute mediator (an Upwork employee) has not yet clicked the correct button.

If you are not seeing any pending questions or requests for you to answer, then it would seem there is nothing that you are supposed to do... there is no "next step" for you. A customer support representative would need to intervene to finalize this. If we wait a bit, a Forum Mediator may intervene with this and get this in front of the right person.

Thank you Preston H -

For the 'first' response I have had from ANYONE. Shame it had to come from a Community Member instead of Upwork staff.  You must have a direct hot line, or sent up a flare.

I have already receive PayPal and Upwork Notification of the "Refund" --- less than 30 minutes after your reply.

Thank you again Preston H. I will go do Kudos. Have a great day.

Norris

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Norris, 

I checked your account and I was unable to see any ticket that you have filed recently. The only ticket that I see was the one from November 2019, Ticket #27090443, which you didn't respond to. 

I also checked your Transactions report (hover your mouse on your Reports tab and click on the Transactions link), and you will see that the refund you are referring to has already been processed and refunded (Ref ID 278317117) to your primary billing method. If you need further help, please let me know so that I can look into this further for you. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths