🐈
» Forums » Clients » Hello, Help Please?
Page options
c0cad439
Community Member

Hello, Help Please?

Okay so I'm really new to this. I'm working on getting a mobile app developed for both android and iPhone. I'm in talks with developers now.

1) To clarify the milestones with a fixed price job, they're funded just one at a time? Because if I pay say 15,000 on the job overall (just a number, not an exact price), my bank won't allow that full amount at one time. It'll have to have permission at the very least or do it over days possible for fraud protection. 

So say if I do milestones of 1000 to 2000 at a time, it just comes out as that at a time to the escrow right? That's how I think I read it but I want to be sure.

2) I just created an LLC, can I still use my personal paypal to pay or is that bad practice? 

3) How do taxes work with this site? If I'm a client, I don't have to pay taxes right for spending money right? I mean I'm about 99% sure I don't but it has the id number so I'm just wanting to make sure.

4) If the developer is oversea's how do the taxes work for them? 

5) What's the best way to protect myself on this site from potential bad freelancers or the like? Not that I think it'll happen but I've kind of been seeing a lot of posts about it happening and it has me a little spooked.. 

edited to add:

6) There is a NDA in the default settings of upworks ToS right? I saw that with another link in here? So do we need our own NDA?

7) All source material should go to the client at the end of the project right?

Please answer if you're able even if it's only 1 or 2 questions of this... 

8 REPLIES 8
youssefbahaa
Community Member

**EDITED**

Hello Brandy,

You are in the right section.  sorry I misunderstood. 

Okay did I post this in the wrong area? I'm the Client. Not the freelancer.
Sorry just looking for answers as the client...  

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "All source material should go to the client at the end of the project right?"

No.

You don't wait.

If you hire feeelancers, especially developers, you need to make sure that they are delivering all source material or other files to you continually. From the very beginning.

You should receive source code and other files and archive them in a place that only you have access to.

Your project manager should review the files, especially at the beginning of any working relationship with a developer.

If a developer says that you will receive the files when the project is finished, that means she is a scammer. Don't work with someone like that.

I was going by what I read on upwork, not by a developer I've spoken with. I'm just trying to understand still.

I'm new to this and doing this venture with one other person. This isn't our area of expertise at all.

I admit to be a little out of my depth and possibly needing help...

lysis10
Community Member

Brandy B wrote:

I was going by what I read on upwork, not by a developer I've spoken with. I'm just trying to understand still.

I'm new to this and doing this venture with one other person. This isn't our area of expertise at all.

I admit to be a little out of my depth and possibly needing help...

Be  very careful if you are unfamiliar with the way development works, especially if you are going cheap. I've seen some wild stuff from devs who take advantage of people who don't know what to look for.

c0cad439
Community Member

Thank you for the advice. I'm going for developers that all have high ratings. Quite a few jobs under them and right now I'm looking at a developer that's top rated + and has a very good portfolio on upwork. I'm hoping that's enough... As for looking at quality of freelancers / agencies.

I've gone through close to 30 proposals and I think I'm heading down the right track with hiring. 

lysis10
Community Member

Brandy B wrote:

Thank you for the advice. I'm going for developers that all have high ratings. Quite a few jobs under them and right now I'm looking at a developer that's top rated + and has a very good portfolio on upwork. I'm hoping that's enough... 

I would hop on a VoIP call with them to make sure they are who they say they are (and you can get a feel for their personality). Be careful about a bait and switch (they send your project off to someone else for cheaper). Also I would budget someone to help you who knows the development lifecycle to look over your agreement and review the code the developer is doing. 

It might also be worth going slow at first and having them do something small for you to see how things go. Things might be fine, but you can be taken advantage of if you don't know how things work. 

You're definitely on the right track, Brandy. But don't rely on good ratings and history to manage the project after the hire. If you're out of your element (I would be too!), make sure someone who knows what to look for can review the project regularly and ensure you're getting what you're paying for. Pay out milestones when you've received work and had a chance to review it (often the freelancer has good ideas about how to organize milestones/deliverables, so you might ask them if you're unsure).

Latest Articles
Learning Paths