🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Help. My Freelancer disappeared.
Page options
214b682c
Community Member

Help. My Freelancer disappeared.

Good Morning, I hired **Edited for Community Guidelines** to work on an ongoing project for my website. I received notification on last evening that his contract was abruptly ended for violation of your company's rule. Your company did not share what the violations were but this abrupt termination has left me in a bind. Should I be concerned? He appeared to be a great developer, who communicated well and worked efficiently. He also spoke highly of your company and recommended I use Upwork versus other companies to avoid being taken advantage of. Now I will have to start over with someone new, build trust with them and repay the new hire to continue this project and duplicate work. There should be advanced notice provided to avoid these types of interruptions. We were literally in the middle of working on something when the termination occurred. Your understanding and cooperation in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

Below are some general observations that were inspired by the original post, but not really directed at the original poster. Based on my reading of the original post, that client seems to be a knowledgeable, experienced person who is expressing valid concerns.

It is always possible that a project we own or manage will have personnel turnover.

A freelancer could become too sick to work any more.

A freelancer could die.

A freelancer could inherit their uncle's fortune and quit working completely.

A freelancer could adopt puppies.

A freelancer could get distracted by something else.

That is why, as project managers or project owners, we regularly archive all of the work files, maintain control over all systems, and plan for redundtant expertise. If the main developer on a project can not work on the project this week, then we assign work to the other members of the team who are cross-trained or sufficiently familiar with the systems to do the necessary work.

It is never idea to lose a key member of the team, but it is a reality that all large projects may face. It does not mean that the project must fail.

The Wizard of Oz (1939) lost its first director (Richard Thorpe) after only two weeks of filming. (He was fired.) Two successive replacements (George Cukor and Victor Fleming) LEFT to go work on "Gone With the Wind". King Vidor was brought in and had to finish the project. The director is typically the most important person in the creation of a movie! But most people who enjoy "The Wizard of Oz" don't even realize that it such a terrible problem with key personnel turnover.

The developer you mentioned - he is NOT the most important person in your project. YOU are probably the most important person for this project. The developer can be replaced. Most large projects have multiple developers.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths