cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! My freelancer has stopped working on my project.

Michael M Member Since: Apr 20, 2015
1 of 8

Hello,

I'm having a problem getting my freelancer to start working again on my website build project.  We've been on this for almost a year now.  I was the cause of large delays last year in getting data to my freelancer.  However, this year I've been feeding him data steadilly for a while.  

I'm getting excuses from him and promises to start , but no action.  His Work Diary shows no activity in almost a month.  A check of my website progress on Bigcommerce shows very little activity as well.  I've made it clear to him several times that I want to have the site finished this month.  Am I being too hasty?  What are my options?  Thanks.

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
2 of 8

You need sprints/Milestones here.

Discuss with the developer and set milestones (each milestone can be a week long).
After every week review the work dairy. If time is logge without any work done just do not approve the hours.

If no work is done then the milestone fails and send a warning to the freelancer.
If this happens the next week just give a notice to the freelancer and end the contract.

I am sure you will find other freelancers to do the job as you have the data ready!

Michael M Member Since: Apr 20, 2015
3 of 8

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I've been thinking about canceling the contract, but I didn't want to be hasty.  We've been on this project for so long now.  The Milestones idea is a good one.  I should have done that sooner, but I probably would be the one that didn't meet them.Smiley Wink

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
4 of 8

Hi Michael M,

I see that you are on an hourly contract with your freelancer and you are allowing him to log manual time. If you would like to use the functionality of the work diary then you will have to disallow logging of manual time. As Md. Rahatur R said, I would also suggest you to set up milestones with your freelancer and require your freelancer to check in with you within the next few days so that you know if he is on track with delivering your e-commerce site that you are having him build. When setting up your milestones keep in mind how many weeks and how many hours per week your foresee this project to take. 

If you continue to have difficulties contacting your freelancer reach out to customer support they can provide you with some recommendations about how to proceed.

-Lena

Untitled
Jery E Member Since: May 4, 2015
5 of 8

Hi Michael M,

This is where project manager comes in handy. Project Managers such as me will be the one to manage your people to do their tasks and we won't stop bugging them until they deliver their tasks.

Yes sprints/milestones do help and should be performed by a project manger so that you can focus on growing your business and let the project manager do the dirty stuff.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jery

Community Guru
Jeff R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
6 of 8

Your developer ran away? That's unfortunate.

I'm sure having worked with him for about a year, you'd have his personal contact email address, facebook or maybe skype. But whichever method you used most for communicating, send him a message on there explaining the current situation.

Tell him out of loyalty, you'll give him a couple of days to reply, but if you don't hear from him, because you have a tight deadline, you have no choice but to hire another developer to finish off his work.

Community Guru
Khadezatul K Member Since: May 1, 2015
7 of 8

Hi,

I think you have his/her personal phone number, Please call and be sure that he/she is okay. May be he/she is in big trouble.

Please give him/her one more chance. You are working 1 year and you know better.

Thank you

regards

==Dijatul==

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
8 of 8

Perhaps I am not reading this right, but what I gathered from Michael's initial post is that the project has been dragging on for a year (!), and that the client caused ongoing delays by not providing the data the freelancer needed to carry out work, while the freelancer patiently dealt with this.

Michael, could it be that your freelancer is simply no longer interested in working on your project due to the delays described above? I mean we all have bills to pay and if a project is dragging on forever, it's affecting our bottomline. Perhaps your freelancer is afraid to tell you for fear of devastating feedback. I do think he should've communicated better, but put yourself in his shoes. He probably took on other projects because he has bills to pay and because you failed to provide him with the data needed. And now he doesn't know how to communicate that to you because he's worried you'll leave him a really poor rating after he's patiently dealt with this project for a year (!).

You should probably cut him some slack, thank him for his work so far, and offer to close the contract because he's done excellent work (otherwise you wouldn't be back with more work for him) and apologize for all of the delays.

Communication and deadlines are a two way street. If you're a small business, and your customer books a service that you set time aside for, yet drags it on forever, most likely with no pay since there's no work to be done, your small business will be going out of business really fast.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS