Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Help me get out of this

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Muhammad Hassan A Member Since: May 31, 2017
1 of 12

Hi upwork,

I"m stuck with one new client.He is a university student and He needed some help in his assignments.We discussed work in the interview and then he sent a fixed price offer with the due date 15 oct 2017. 

I accepted the offer on 12 oct 2017 and I asked him to send me questions in which he needs help but since then he is unresponsive and not replying to any of my messages.

Now, I'm worrying that due date for this contract is just around the corner and I don't know what to do.I need your valuable suggestions 

Hassan Ali

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 12

Hi Muhammad,

I see our support agent already advised you regrading this contract but I'll ask our team to review the job and take action since it looks like it's related to an academic assignment, which is a violation of Upwork ToS.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 12

Oh, it's violation of upwork policies.I didn't know about it.

Is this violation from my end or client will be responsible for this?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 12

Hi Muhammad,

Both offering and accepting to provide work which violates academic integrity is a ToS violation and I'd strongly advise you against working and reporting similar jobs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 12

Muhammad, according to your profile, you have a bachelor's degree. Did you graduate by doing all the assignments yourself, or did you cheat and hire someone else to do your assignments? Because by taking this job, you're getting paid to help a student cheat so you're an accomplice in academic fraud.

6 of 12
What should I do now.Actually I was not solving his assignment but I was teaching him like a tutor.

I'm ok now but I just want to know how can I close this contract without hurting my jss.
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 12

So close the contract.  Your "client" will either give you good feedback or not. Morally speaking, it is not just your JSS that will get hurt.

From an Upwork PoV whatever you do could impact your JSS.  Swallow the pill and move on - and don't help cheating "clients" again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 12

Teaching and tutoring students is a perfectly valid professional activity, and is not a violation of Upwork TOS.

But job postings should be written to clearly indicate that is what the job entails.

Also, such jobs should always be set up as hourly contracts, in my opinion.

If the original poster will make sure that he sets jobs like this up as hourly contracts, and always spends at least ten minutes at the beginning of each contract either talking with the student directly or preparing a study plan, then he will. It need to worry about closing contracts with zero pay because a student/client is unresponsive.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 12

Teaching and tutoring is a global activity. This includes helping people learn other languages, such as travelers who want to improve their Italian before traveling to Italy, or non-native English speakers who want to learn English so they can I prove their ability to speak with English-speaking clients when they do web development projects.

I have hired Upwork freelancers to help me learn techniques, such as Linux networking and configuration.

I consider the teaching and tutoring services on Upwork to be under-developed. It would be good if Upwork management paid more attention to this job segment and included it in marketing and outreach efforts to attract new clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 12

lol I'd do it too if it were me

Image result for backpedal funny

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS