cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand how to hire an industrial designer/mechanical engineer.

Highlighted
Brendan W Member Since: Apr 7, 2017
1 of 7

Hi folks, 

I'm interested in hiring an industrial designer/mechanical engineer to help me design a piece of hardware with moving parts. I'd like to educate myself on what exactly I'm asking someone to do before I start spending money. Are there some good resources to get an overview of how this process works? All the online tutorials I can find just seem to be about how to use CAD software. 

What research should I do beforehand? How do I write a good design brief so that it's clear? What is the difference between an industrial designer and a mechanical engineer? Do people have any good tips for breaking a project into stages or components?

Thanks, 

Brendan

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 7

Hi Brendan, 

I'm not familiar with the industry, so I'm not able to help you in that area. 

But you may want to check out the Client section of the Getting Started on Upwork thread. There are tips in the Hiring Headquarters section on how you can write a good job description, and tips on how you can best work with your freelancer. 

Good luck with that!

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 7

Thanks that's helpful.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
4 of 7

@Brendan W wrote:

Hi folks, 

I'm interested in hiring an industrial designer/mechanical engineer to help me design a piece of hardware with moving parts. I'd like to educate myself on what exactly I'm asking someone to do before I start spending money. Are there some good resources to get an overview of how this process works? All the online tutorials I can find just seem to be about how to use CAD software. 

What research should I do beforehand? How do I write a good design brief so that it's clear? What is the difference between an industrial designer and a mechanical engineer? Do people have any good tips for breaking a project into stages or components?

Thanks, 

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

First, you might want to look up “Machine Design.”

Then, you can study “Kinematics of Machines.”

Somewhere along the way, you might need to study “Mechanics of Deformable Bodies.”

There is plenty of good (and free) material available on the net.

And what you need is a mechanical engineer.

All the best!

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
5 of 7

Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
6 of 7

You are welcome, Brendan. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"