🐈
» Forums » Clients » Hi, I'd like to pay by data collected, i.e.10...
Page options
lipmeister
Community Member

Hi, I'd like to pay by data collected, i.e.10c for each email address obtained. How can I structure

Hi, I'd like to pay by data collected, i.e.10c for each email address obtained. How can I structure this?

7 REPLIES 7
haideriqbal707
Community Member

@Jonathan L wrote:

Hi, I'd like to pay by data collected, i.e.10c for each email address obtained. How can I structure this?

@ Hi Jonathan, You can pay by data collected easily, @ $0.1/Email address obtained. For Example, You need 100 emails from a specific list, Post a job with a Budget of $10 and award the job to your selected freelancer. Let's say If he provides 90 emails, just approve $9 from your budget and if he provides 100 then approve $10 for the milestone.

prestonhunter
Community Member

What you are describing is a form of compensation traditionally known as "piece work."

Upwork does not directly support "piece work" contracts, but there are ways you can use Upwork's supported contract models to accomplish your goals.

1) Use fixed-price contracts. For example, pay a freelancer $10 per 100 email addresses. Each 100 email addresses constitutes one fixed-price milestone or contract.

2) Use hourly contracts. Pay freelancers an hourly rate. For example: "$3.00 / hour" or "$15 per hour". They earn that while logging time using the Upwork desktop-based time-tracker tool. And IN ADDITION to paying them an hourly rate, you pay them a bonus amount for the email addresses they collect.

Preston, thanks for the reply - How can one acheive this?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

One option would be to set up the project as fixed price with milestones for a particular number of data points.

For example, if you want a total of 3,000 data points, you could set up four milestones of 750 data points due on different dates with each matched with a payment of $X.

Please be sure to fund each milestone before you expect your freelancer to begin work on it.

Hi Will, thanks dfor the reply. I set up a fixed-price Job, but I see no options for milestones?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Note that you might achieve much better results if use hourly contracts. You might experiment using BOTH fixed-price and hourly contracts, to see which approach yields the best results.

One problem with the fixed-price contract model is that you do not have as much freedom when it comes to closing contracts ("firing" people). If you set up a fixed-price milestone escrow payment, then if you decide you don't like the work being done by a particular freelancer, then your only options are:

a) release full escrow payment to them, regardless of whether or not they did any work on the milestone

[or]

b) ask the freelancer to allow you to pay less than the full escrow amount (or pay nothing).

You can't just decide to close a contract and pay nothing. That's not an option with fixed-price contracts.

But with hourly contracts, you can close the contract at any time, for any reason.

Whatever you do, don't try to hire only one person for this! Because how do you know you're getting the best work or best value possible? There's no way to know that until you hire multiple people.

If you hire 10 people, at $3.00/hour, plus paying bonuses for results, then after each of them has worked 1 hour, you will have paid out only $30 in hourly pay.

You can evaluate their work.

These 3 freelancers spent an hour and didn't turn in ANY email addresses!

These 3 freelancers spent an hour and what they turned in was pretty much useless.

These 2 freelancers never even logged any time. They did nothing in the 5 days you gave them.

These 2 freelancers obtained an impressive number of email addresses, and they were all high-quality.

So you spent a tiny amount of money, and you found the TWO FREELANCERS that you want to continue working with.

You close the contracts on everybody except those two top performers.

THERE IS NO WAY to discover this information by looking at profile pages or conducting interviews. You can only obtain this information by hiring people.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it onboard

Latest Articles
Learning Paths