🐈
» Forums » Clients » Hidden Upwork fees?
Page options
4204c2ff
Community Member

Hidden Upwork fees?

I am hiring data analysts for a fixed price project. I would like to ensure that they receive $45.

I have already paid a few data analysts under the assumption that they were receiving $45 since I have been paying $46.35 for each hired freelancer (includes the 3% transaction fee). However, one of the freelancers I hired just informed me that they were only receiving $36.

Where is the additional $9 going? How can I ensure that the freelancers receive 45?

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

There are no hidden Upwork fees.

If (as a client) you hire a freelancer to do a task for $45, then the freelancer will indeed receive a full 80% of that payment.

As described here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062538-Freelancer-Service-Fees

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 11.45.32 AM.png

Well, if you hire a freelancer for the first time, then the freelancer will receive 80% of your payment to her.

So if you want the freelancer to receive $45, you would pay the freelancer $56.25

Thank you for the information!

Is this sliding scale the same for all freelancers?

Does this apply to bonuses as well?

petra_r
Community Member

Eunice J wrote:

I am hiring data analysts for a fixed price project. I would like to ensure that they receive $45.

There is nothing "hidden" about it.

Freelancers pay sliding scale fees between 5% and 20%.

If you want to ensure that "they receive $ 45", you need to pay them $ 56.25, but really, professional freelancers work their fees into their bid so those fees are nothing you should need to concern yourself with.

I definitely agree with Petra's point, and her perspective.

If you hire a freelancer to do a task for $45, then it means you pay $45.

(Plus the 3% service fee.)

As a client, that is all I need to focus on.

When a freelancer tells you that she will charge $45 to do a task, she knows (or should know) that she will receive 80% of that amount.

re: "Is this sliding scale the same for all freelancers?"

Yes.

re: "Does this apply to bonuses as well?"

Yes.

Bonus payment or regular payment... makes no difference.

Same fees and scale applies.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Eunice J wrote:

I have already paid a few data analysts under the assumption that they were receiving $45 since I have been paying $46.35 for each hired freelancer (includes the 3% transaction fee). However, one of the freelancers I hired just informed me that they were only receiving $36.

Where is the additional $9 going? How can I ensure that the freelancers receive 45?

The freelancer gets $45. Upwork then charges us, as freelancers, fees for their service, which they take out of our account.  This freelancer is asking you to pay their marketing fees, which they should have already factored into the costs of their business. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths