🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Hiding Pay Rates
Page options
thrivehr
Community Member

Hiding Pay Rates

How do we hide or make private the pay rates for current and past projects so that current freelancers cannot see what peers are making?

11 REPLIES 11
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Kevin, 

We'll reach out to your client-company owner and provide them with more information about their financial privacy.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork

re: "How do we hide or make private the pay rates for current and past projects so that current freelancers cannot see what peers are making?"

I strongly support Upwork making it possible for clients to easily hide pay rates.

Clients are the ones who pay the money that makes Upwork possible. If some clients want to do this, then it should be something Upwork offers as part of their service to clients.

Just keep in mind that this is not a universal practice. Many companies make all pay rates and salary data public. In the United States, most government employee salaries and awarded contract pay rates are public, by law. And different places have different beliefs about whether something like this is a public or private matter. In Norway, the income of EVERY citizen (and the amount of tax they pay) has been public since 1814.

@Preston H wrote:

I strongly support Upwork making it possible for clients to easily hide pay rates.

If some clients want to do this, then it should be something Upwork offers as part of their service to clients.

It has been possible for Enterprise and some other clients for as long as I can think.

Why don't you make this feature of hiding the earnings for top users? It is useless to be a Premium user when I am a top rated freelancer and bringing in money to upwork daily since 2014?

Hi Doina,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share it with our team.

~ Goran
Upwork

Any Update on hiding pay rates? is there way to do it now?

Thanks

bobafett999
Community Member

It could help you by hiding the fact that either you are low wage cheapskate employer or a fair wage paying employer.  However, it could also increase your work load.  Currently, it acts as a filter.  Only the freelancers who play in your pay range would apply.  In other case you can have everyone throwing their names in the hat.

Adding to Prashant's comment -  professional freelancers (the kind you want and most likely NEED) will automatically assume you are paying extremely low rates and not bother bidding on your RFPs or that your track record as a buyer is less than desirable. You need to decide if it is worth it.

Freelancers in different geographic locations command different rates.  Freelancers in Pakistan compare their pay rate to Freelancers in the US, and want to get paid the same.  This, of course, defeats the very purpose of Upwork.  Rate needs to be negotiated with each freelancer independently, based on their experience, their special skills, and their geographic location.  If you make the pay rate of all within the same ocmpany public, that reduces the value of Upwork.

Upwork is a global platform. Rates should be based on freelancers experience and skills but not on their location. 

re: "Freelancers in different geographic locations command different rates. Freelancers... compare their pay rate to Freelancers in the US, and want to get paid the same. This, of course, defeats the very purpose of Upwork... If you make the pay rate of all within the same company public, that reduces the value of Upwork."

re: "Rates should be based on freelancers experience and skills but not on their location."

These statements, from two different Upwork users, are both true.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths