Did you mean: 

Highly annoying support answers about cookies and restarting the browser

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
11 of 22

@Daniel C wrote:

"Pay an expert. Don't expect $3.00/hr. CS workers to solve your problems."

I sure hope Upwork doesn't pay CS the minimum hourly rate on Upwork.

Daniel,

I don't know if they do now, but a year or so ago when Odesk didn't hide what they were paying a large majority of their Customer service were being paid $3.00 an hour. I have posted several times the reason they did not raise the minimum hourly rate was because they themselves would have to pay their CS more.

To the OP:

Upwork uses Zendesk. To keep things orderly because you end up with tickets all over the place tickets are merged into the oldest ticket which then states the new ticket is closed. It does not mean that a ticket was not addressed. It is really hard when there are multiple tickets and multiple people working on several tickets. It makes more sense to keep all tickets by a person that are open in one ticket so the issue can be resolved.

Now on the problems with Upwork. They have taught CS to find answers in the help files, the problem with this is someone don't seem to have initiative to answer something without the help files and most of the issues aren't help file related.

Preston,

Good customer service is free with many companies. It is part of the cost of doing business. Good customer service brings back return customers. Many companies have seemed to have forgotten this. I work with a company that a lot of their business is repeat customers because we  have provided top notch, top rated customer service.

Taking care of the problem should be prompt, courteous and deal with the issue. I have worked customer service for many years. The other issue when you don't take care of the problem right away the same problem comes back to bite in you the you know what. It would be in Upworks interest to pay their customer service and teach them to to take care of the problem the first time. If they cannot then esculate it to someone who will. 

Tickets should not takes weeks or months to solve. This is just plain bad customer service.

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
12 of 22

"@Sara: Exactly, that's probably the problem. Unfortunately it is not only a preview, I got advertisements too, once for hosting. And this is highly annoying, having after each message 1 (sometimes 2) such ads included. In my message threads with freelancers I do not want any advertisement or previews included, I want to work. You can see enclosed an example.

Overall, this is not the point. This "advertising" issue has to be discussed, but my point here is that the support got instructions primarely to answer "restart the browser, we understand your issues" etc. For many persons it seems really very very hard to make this difference and they jump directly on the referenced initial technical issue, not able to understand that the topic is the approach how support answers requests."

It is not advertising, it is because it detected two domains from the text.  Backup.sh and restore.sh are websites offering backup services and the other is for sale.  It is exactly ONLY a preview.

The real issue is that you want Upwork to create a setting to disable previews in the workrooms.

"That's not ads. That's a preview of the site being linked to in the message center.

I do hope this is it, cuz that would be funny. "

It turns out that it is!  He is still really sure that they are ads and not only previews...  

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 22

@Daniel C wrote:

The real issue is that you want Upwork to create a setting to disable previews in the workrooms. 

I for one would like to be able to disable those previews regardless of whether they're ads or not. Another annoyance I've experienced with messaging is if I try to copy/paste something from an earlier message, it will create a preview, and if I then click on the 'x', the text I copied vanishes. So I have to do something like first paste into a text editor, then copy it from there, then paste it into the input area. Cat Frustrated

Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
14 of 22

John K wrote:

I for one would like to be able to disable those previews regardless of whether they're ads or not. Another annoyance I've experienced with messaging is if I try to copy/paste something from an earlier message, it will create a preview, and if I then click on the 'x', the text I copied vanishes. So I have to do something like first paste into a text editor, then copy it from there, then paste it into the input area. Cat Frustrated

John, you can right-click and choose 'Paste and match style'.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
15 of 22

@Olga Q wrote:

John, you can right-click and choose 'Paste and match style'.

Wow, that's incredible. How did you figure that out? I owe you one*. Cat Very Happy

Spoiler
*I made a Star Wars reference there. Several Star War characters said "you owe me one", "I owe you one", etc. Cat Wink
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
16 of 22

@John K wrote:

Wow, that's incredible. How did you figure that out? I owe you one*. Cat Very Happy

You know, John, when one spends so much time in front of a computer... Robot LOL

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 22

@Al S wrote:

Another example: Upwork has since 1.5 years partly massive performance problems. It took one year until this summer the CEO of upwork wrote a message to all community members and acknowledged these problems and finally promised to do something. If there is a performance problem (=waiting 1 minute until page loaded) or the page returns an error and this continues for 2 days, then I contact support,

And this is why I asked the support that I can talk with the management. Unfortunately the support did also this not understand, and this makes it diffiult. After many messages they understood and I am waiting for somebody to contact me.

There are dozens of very valid reasons to contact Support, but really, this is not one of them....

Honestly: What is the point of contacting support about this? Do you think for a minute that they are not aware? And even more ridiculously asking for a manager? What is that going to achieve? Other than make you somehow feel important and waste your time and theirs?

Do you think they'll turn a switch and make the site load fast for you?

Thinks should be fixed of course, but wasting everyone's time on pointless support tickets or calls is not the way to do it. What do you expect Support to do other than tell you they're sorry and that the tech guys are working on it?

What do you expect some manager to do other than tell you they're sorry and it's being worked on?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 22

My advice to the original poster that he should hire an expert on Upwork to help resolve his problem was predicated on the assumption that the problem he was having was Malware or Adware infesting his computer, and that his problem had nothing to do with Upwork.

After seeing some additional posts in this thread and thinking about what he wrote, I think that what the original poster is describing is more likely to be the new Upwork message system's penchant for displaying snippets of text and formatting HTML from a website that a message-writer refers to by including a URL in their message.

This functionality is part of the way the Slack-based system works, in order to be more "helpful," and that was the system that Upwork is using as their messaging system. It is not a system that Upwork itself created or has complete control over.

So if this is the case, then the correct advice to the original poster would be what Petra suggests: ignore it.

arcoda
Al S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
19 of 22

I see it is quite an intellectual challenge for almost everybody to make a difference between the example why I contacted support and my complaint. My complaint is about how the support answers, my complaint is not about having ads (or website previews - you should see from the example that it is both).

And this is the topic of this thread. But obviously this is a challenge for most to understand. Almost everybdy talks about the technical question I asked. It is not the topic.

Petra: I completely disagree. In a world where nothing works, where the services of companies are miserable, where the state is full of bureaucracy and corruption - yes, it is true. Otherwise not. If users do not complain then nothing happens. It is as simple as that. And a professional company has a dashboard which informs about ongoing technical problems. This stops users reporting things which are already known. Most basic thing when you build up a support center.

And asking for the management has  a simple reason: Blaming the support is most often not fair, because they get instructions. If you want to change systematic problems, you must speak with the people who control it.  If interested, read a book about management and organizations, it will help.

There are companies, which are excellent in providing support. I want to name for example atlassian, mailchimp or moz. They all are able to provide excellent support: fast answer, competent answers, never pre-texted messages from the marketing department etc.

Obviously Upwork has not enough competition. It would rapidly change otherwise.

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
20 of 22

You should have come up with a good example next time you want to make a point.  If we can't figure out what you're asking, then it's not likely support will figure out what you're talking about.  

pebcak-problem-exists-between-chair-and-keyboard-computer.png

It's not like we're dumb or don't think that support has issues.  Look around and you will see there are lots of intellectual complaints, discussions, and suggestions.  Sometimes things get better, and sometimes they do not.

And personally, I do know that Upwork does try to work on improving support.  They send out surveys and provide a forum so you can ask the community when support is ineffective.  Upwork has invited me to do private feedback, and hired me to take tests to provide feedback as well.  

Support has multiple tiers, and there are people who could answer your questions; but ONLY if you can ask the right questions.  

We figured out your issue, and you basically call us dumb.  We get it, but you're totally blind to what the community is trying to tell you.

Any specific book recommendation on management?  I'm sure many of them tell support to operate exactly as Upwork does.  Maybe you should pick up a management book?

support.jpg

So, chill out, we were TRYING to help you solve your problem so that we could figure out were support went wrong.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS