cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hire now button, how does it work?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 20

@John L wrote:

My job is set at a fixed price that exactly matches the freelancers fixed price for this specific job.    It is fairly cut and dry so maybe worth a shot.

One other thing I don't understand,  I invited 5 freelancers, 3 accepted the invite, 1 decliced... That's 4, This one freelancer I really want to hire does not show as declined.  

My dashboard now does not show any invites pending.  What happened to his invite?

Hi John,

I checked your job post and out of the five invites you sent, four freelancers submitted their proposals while one freelancer declined. I believe I found the freelancer you're looking to hire and see they haven't been invited to bid on your job but have received a direct offer you sent them. Let us know if you have any questions.

John L Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
BEST ANSWER
12 of 20

My dashboard now does not show any invites pending.  What happened to his invite?

Hi John,

I checked your job post and out of the five invites you sent, four freelancers submitted their proposals while one freelancer declined. I believe I found the freelancer you're looking to hire and see they haven't been invited to bid on your job but have received a direct offer you sent them. Let us know if you have any questions.

The guy I wanted to hire definately had the "invited" button showing otherwise I would have simply hit invite button again.

Last night I sent him a nice message after hitting the hire now saying that I am not sure he got my invite because I see neither a decline or not responed message so their might be some Upwork glitch.  

I believe  when I hit "hire now" and he accepted the job the the invited button changed back to invite now. 

After he accepted the job sent a message that included:

"Thanks for reaching out. I did not receive your previous invite, so it must've been a glitch on Upwork."

So hire now button served it's purpose and I did not get the sense that he felt it rude that I used it.

Thanks all for your input.  

13 of 20

Oh, also, later yesterday I invited a 6th person and they accepted.

So invited 6 - 

4 accepted

1 declined

1 never got the innitial invite.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 20

I would never use the "hire now" button without at least some prior communication. But I'm a bit confused because you talked about an invite and then also said "My job is set at a fixed price that exactly matches the freelancers fixed price for this specific job". So have they submitted a proposal? Or are you judging that based on a similar job they've done for other clients? Or what?

15 of 20

@Jennifer D wrote:

I would never use the "hire now" button without at least some prior communication. But I'm a bit confused because you talked about an invite and then also said "My job is set at a fixed price that exactly matches the freelancers fixed price for this specific job". So have they submitted a proposal? Or are you judging that based on a similar job they've done for other clients? Or what?

Yeah this is a very specific job.   I can look through past jobs and see what they charge.  Most say fixed price and I matched my fixed price to the guy  really wanted. He has done hundreds of similar jobs, nothing special or differnent about my job. Three others one step below my guy replied to the invite, one declined and the guy I rely wanted says invite sent but there is no reject message or message stating no response yet.

Shouldn't I get at least one of these?  Other than the invite sent on his profile grayed out, there is no trace that he saw, rejected, or just not has got time to reply yet.  I think some kind of a glitch.

This is why I am thinking just click hire now and see what happens, worst that happens as I finally get a rejection from him - best, he takes the job.

16 of 20

@Jennifer D wrote:

Yes

17 of 20

@Jennifer D wrote:

Why would the hire now button be there if you are not supposed to use it?   I clicked hire now for him.  I'll let you know what happens.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
18 of 20

@John L wrote:

@Jennifer D wrote:

Why would the hire now button be there if you are not supposed to use it?   I clicked hire now for him.  I'll let you know what happens.

It's not that you're not "supposed" to use it. Apart from the fact there are plenty of ways a client and freelancer may have communicated about a job already, even if there's been no communication at all you can just click it if you want. No one is stopping you. I personally don't do that because I feel like it's a bit rude, but also more importantly I have no idea if the freelancer is available, if they're interested, if we have compatible communication styles...I personally would rather discuss the job with the freelancer first before hiring them.

19 of 20

Not sure how it is rude.  If someone went out of there way and told me I wanted to hire them I would feel honored

even if I did not want the job.  I wrote him a nice note and I told him I would like to hire him but if he is too busy,  not interested, that is find, just reject the offer.  No harm done.

This is not a big website coding job.  A simple $200 writing  task that the guy does 10 a week of with amazing reviews.  If anything he is overwelmed with work.  (business idea hmmm)

I would not have hit the hire now except he did not reject or ignored the invite.  He just fell off the radar which I suspect was an upwork glitch. No reject and no invite did not respond message.

If he does not want the job, I have for other second tier freelancers to choose from.  Maybe one will turn out better than expected.

It's not that you're not "supposed" to use it. Apart from the fact there are plenty of ways a client and freelancer may have communicated about a job already, even if there's been no communication at all you can just click it if you want. No one is stopping you. I personally don't do that because I feel like it's a bit rude, but also more importantly I have no idea if the freelancer is available, if they're interested, if we have compatible communication styles...I personally would rather discuss the job with the freelancer first before hiring them.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 20

I think it's better to invite and chat with them first. This way, you know exactly what you're getting from him and he can tell you what he will do. When you send an offer like that, there is no chatting and a contract is started without any conversation. I'm sure you know that's a bad idea for both parties.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS