🐈
» Forums » Clients » Hired freelancer used my server account to se...
Page options
5316094e
Community Member

Hired freelancer used my server account to send out an Network Attack

I hired a freelancer from here last week tp make updates on my website. Instead they used my  server account to send out an Network Attack and my site has pretty much been erased. I ended the contract but I dont know the extent of the damage they have caused. What are my options? 

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Corey C wrote:

I hired a freelancer from here last week tp make updates on my website. Instead they used my  server account to send out an Network Attack and my site has pretty much been erased. I ended the contract but I dont know the extent of the damage they have caused. What are my options? 

Ouch. That is really unfortunate.

First of all, do you have proof that the freelancer did that? Two things happening on the same day does not prove causation... If you have proof, contact Upwork.

Did you hire a freelancer with a good track-record of successful projects, a high JSS and good feedback? Such freelancers tend to value their Upwork profile and would generally cut off their toes before risking a suspension...

As far as your options are concerned, obviously you removed the freelancer's access to your site?

Not sure what other "options" you were thinking of.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I hired a freelancer from here last week tp make updates on my website. Instead they used my server account to send out an Network Attack and my site has pretty much been erased. I ended the contract but I dont know the extent of the damage they have caused. What are my options?"

You have already exercised your main option - and your most important option - which is to end the contract.

Most anything beyond that would be getting into non-Upwork topics.

Upwork itself is not (for example) a back-up-and-recovery service or a computer forensics service.

My advice would be to work with qualified professionals - who may be Upwork freelancers, or otherwise, to get things back to normal for your website, and to help you formulate effective strategies for working with freelancers on your system without risking situations like this in the future.

I would also advise you to keep an open mind about what happened. You did not provide us with all the details or with access to your server and data logs. So we can't say anything for certain about what happened. But as Petra pointed out, it is possible that what happened was not done by the freelancer you hired, or that even if that freelancer did do these things, you have no proof.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths