cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiring a french national

vijay r Member Since: Jul 22, 2016
1 of 5

Hi,

I am planning to hire a free-lancer from France for short-term (less than a month) for 15 hours a week. Are there any legal issues that need to be complied with? Appreciate community advise.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

Vijay:

It's not illegal to hire French people.

Just hire who you want to hire.

It's not your responsibility to worry about all the laws of all the countries people are from. If it's not legal for people from a particular country to work on Upwork, then Upwork doesn't allow people living in that country to be contractors.

Where I live, it is illegal to refuse a person who comes to your house or business a glass of water if they ask. This is a real law. But why should you care? If you hire me, you'll do so through Upwork. You're not going to come to my house.

If there are laws that French people are supposed to obey, let them worry about that. I can assure you that if you hire a French contractor, you won't see law enforcement officials come to your house a month later to arrest you, telling you: "Didn't you know that in France, graphic designers MUST wear a beret while editing CSS files?"

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
3 of 5

I'm hoping that either Nichola or Rene - or better yet both - see this and weigh in.  Rene is a French national and Nichola a long-time resident of France if not a French national.

I'm sure the original poster will feel better getting a response from one in question as opposed to the comments from those of us who are not actually French.  Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 5

French are, exceptionally, allowed to be hired on Upwork since the new CEO of Upwork is French. Otherwise, French would not be allowed.

Please, come on, French, really? And what next, Germans maybe?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 5

C'est bon, Rene.  Glad you were able to read my bouncing train of thought. Woman Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS