Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Hiring

Highlighted
Active Member
Barry S Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
1 of 24

do i hire more than one frelancer untill someone accepts?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 24

You may be confusing "offering" (or "sending a Hire offer") with "hiring."

 

If you click the green "Hire" button by a freelancer's name, this does NOT cause the freelancer to be hired.

 

The green "Hire" button sends an OFFER to the freelancer.

 

The freelancer hasn't been hired yet. The freelancer will see your offer. The freelancer must click an "Accept" button. At that point, when the freelancer clicks the button on their end, the freelancer is actually hired.

 

It is possible for you to click the "Hire" button for 10 different freelancers. But none of them has accepted yet!

 

Then one accepts.

 

Then you can WITHDRAW the offer for the other nine freelancers.


Or you could NOT withdraw the offer. You could hire MULTIPLE freelancers for the same task, if you want to.

 

Maybe five freelancers will DECLINE your offer, and four more will accept your offer.

 

There is no limit to the number of freelancers you may hire.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 24
Unless you’re prepared to actually pay more than one freelancer, I would advise you to make only one offer at a time, then allow the freelancer at least 24 hours to accept the offer, and if they don’t, then withdraw the offer and send an offer to a different freelancer. Because if 2 freelancers accept your offer but then you cancel the contract for one of them before they receive any payment, then you will hurt their Job Success Score.
__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 24

John, you are looking out for the freelancers, which is admirable.

 

But if a client does not want to hire multiple freelancers, it is a simple matter to withdraw hire offers after one freelancer accepts an offer. If the client does that, then there is no impact whatsoever to the freelancers who were not hired.

 

Also, if a client hires a freelancer and decides he does not need her services, all he needs to do is pay a $5.00 bonus payment, and there will be no negative impact to their JSS due to having a zero-pay contract.

 

I have had that happen to me as a freelancer, and I have done that for other freelancers as a client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
5 of 24

Preston H wrote:

John, you are looking out for the freelancers, which is admirable.

 

But if a client does not want to hire multiple freelancers, it is a simple matter to withdraw hire offers after one freelancer accepts an offer. If the client does that, then there is no impact whatsoever to the freelancers who were not hired.

 

Also, if a client hires a freelancer and decides he does not need her (??) services, all he needs to do is pay a $5.00 bonus payment, and there will be no negative impact to their JSS due to having a zero-pay contract.

 

I have had that happen to me as a freelancer, and I have done that for other freelancers as a client.


If the client does not want to hire multiple freelancers than they should not send multiple offers.

 

The client sends out 10 offers, and its all well and good saying "just withdraw the others once one freelancer accepts" but what happens if no one has accepted, the client goes to bed, gets up the next morning and they have inadvertantly hired 10 freelancers that are all expecting to start a new project for the client?

 

Yes they can pay $45 to protect the freelancers JSS scores, but they shouldnt have to and i dont think its something that many clients would do.

 

Unless the client wants to hire more than 1 freelancer they should not send more than one offer at a time. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 24

Jonathan H wrote:


If the client does not want to hire multiple freelancers than they should not send multiple offers.

 

Unless the client wants to hire more than 1 freelancer they should not send more than one offer at a time. 


Thank you for having common sense.

OBVIOUSLY in any universe other than on Planet Preston that is the correct answer.

 

Preston used to cheerfully suggest hiring a bunch of people on hourly contracts and then closing the contracts of everyone other than the first to submit and similar "profile-slaughtering" nonsense.

 

Say the contract is even just a miniscule $50 - should the client really tie up $ 500 in Escrow funds and send 10 offers to random strangers, with losing money on every escrow return as currency fees if not in the US?


Utterly ridiculous.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
7 of 24

Petra R wrote:
Thank you for having common sense.

OBVIOUSLY in any universe other than on Planet Preston that is the correct answer.

 

Preston used to cheerfully suggest hiring a bunch of people on hourly contracts and then closing the contracts of everyone other than the first to submit and similar "profile-slaughtering" nonsense.

 

Say the contract is even just a miniscule $50 - should the client really tie up $ 500 in Escrow funds and send 10 offers to random strangers, with losing money on every escrow return as currency fees if not in the US?


Utterly ridiculous.


Indeed!

 

I had not even considered the consequences on the client side if making multiple hires (having to pay multiple milestones for each offer)!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 24

These are excellent points from Jonathan and Petra.

 

I was answering questions about how the Upwork system works physically. It is good to be aware of how things work.

 

I was not recommending any specific method of hiring.

 

For the record, sending multiple simultaneous hire offers to freelancers is NOT meant as a “recommendation.”

 

I pointed out the ramifications of doing so, offered pointers about when doing so could be appropriate, and how doing so could be done.

 

But I do not recommend doing so generally.

 

Obviously the main situation in which a client would send multiple simultaneous hire offers is when everyone he sends an offer to is someone who he legitimately wants to hire, and when he intends to hire multiple freelancers for the same task. I have hired and paid up to twenty freelancers for the same job.

 

Participants in this thread have clearly indicated not liking the idea of sending multiple simultaneous hire offers when a client only wants to hire one person.

 

I agree that there are problems with this concept. But that does not change the fact that it is physically possible to do so. And it is possible to do so in a way that does not negatively impact any freelancer’s JSS. That does not mean it is a good idea. But I can see situations where a client might do this for what they feel are legitimate reasons.

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
9 of 24

Preston H wrote:

I was answering questions about how the Upwork system works physically. It is good to be aware of how things work.


Well, i think the OP was asking the usual/normal way to deal with hiring, not what is or, is not possible with the system. I have no doubt that they are probably more confused now than when they first asked Smiley LOL

 


Preston H wrote:

I agree that there are problems with this concept. But that does not change the fact that it is physically possible to do so. And it is possible to do so in a way that does not negatively impact any freelancer’s JSS. That does not mean it is a good idea. But I can see situations where a client might do this for what they feel are legitimate reasons.


No, this is not correct - the only way to NOT impact the freelancers JSS (negatively) after they have accepted your offer of work, is to hire all of those that accept (even if its just for a nominal fee). This involves funding multiple contracts and hiring all the freelancers that accepted for an agreed fee.

So if the client only wants to hire ONE freelancer it is not possible!

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 24

I clearly described multiple ways in which it is possible. Paying everyone who accepts the hire offer is one way. Withdrawing all remaining offers after hiring one freelancer is another way.

 

You are correct that sending multiple simultaneous hire offers is NOT the normal way to hire.

 

If my explanation of how hiring works made that unclear, that is my fault.

 

I hope this is clear enough:

 

If you want to hire only one freelancer, I recommend sending a hire offer only to one freelancer at a time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS