cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hourly Rate Project - Problem and Questions

Highlighted
Graham E Member Since: Aug 7, 2017
1 of 4

I currently have an active project employing a programmer on an hourly rate basis to develop a software application.

I see there are major flaws in the ‘hourly rate’ method of employment

I’ll explain why…

If I employ a programmer on an ‘hourly rate’ basis, as the employer, I have no protection whatsoever because of the following.

When employing a freelancer on an ‘hourly rate’ there is no way to set up development milestones based on the hours worked, that freelancer must meet BEFORE any payment is made to them.

All that happens with your system, is the freelancer puts down he has worked ‘X” hours, then at the end of the week is ‘automatically’ paid.

He is not required demonstrate he has completed a certain level of development for the monies paid.

The programmer can walk away from the project at any time, taking the monies paid to him, and leaving me with nothing,

I know I have the option to put the programmer onto a ‘fixed price’ project..

But there are also big problems to do that part way through the development of a project..

The freelancer has to approve or disapprove the change.

If the freelancer ‘disapproves’ my request to change to ‘fixed price’ project, they can then easily choose to walk away from the project, again completely leaving me having lost all the monies, with no product to show for it.

Suggestions from anyone

//Glen

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 4

Hi Graham, 

Please know that in both the fixed-price and hourly contract, the client is also protected under the Upwork Payment Protection Program. 

For hourly contracts, you are protected from paying for hours billed that are not clearly related to your project. When you are billed the Monday following the work week, you have until Friday to review the hours logged by your freelancer. You are then protected from the obligation to pay for a freelancer's hours if they are not clearly documented in the Work Diary and related to your stated contract requirements or instructions.

In a fixed-price contract, you have the option to release the funds to freelancer only when you approve the submitted work.

-Avery
Untitled
Graham E Member Since: Aug 7, 2017
3 of 4

Thanks for that response.

What I'm seeing is that my freelancer ls logging in the hours in the 'Time and Payment ' section, but I'm seeing nothing in the 'Work Diary' section at all.

What shoudl I be doing there.

He is developing software for me.

//Glen

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 4

Hi Graham,

Since the Work Diary displays time freelancer logs on a daily basis, please use the back arrow on the left side of the calendar icon with a day, date and year information under the Work Diary tab, to browse the time your freelancer logged in the previous days and weeks. Please check this Help article for more information on how to use your Work Diary.

I see you had a conversation with our Customer Support team earlier today, so please let us know if you need any additional information.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS