🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Hours spent by freelancer not doing work ...
Page options
de11442f
Community Member

Hours spent by freelancer not doing work as specified

Hi 

I've posted clear instructions on the work to be done, but the freelancer has failed to follow the instructions and produced something that as a result has no value to me. Am I still meant to pay for those hours? How does Upwork treat work not done as requested?

Thanks,
David

3 REPLIES 3
LuiggiR

Hi David,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. In this case, you may have the ability to dispute the hours logged by the freelancer. I recommend that you check this help article for more information on the process.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I've posted clear instructions on the work to be done, but the freelancer has failed to follow the instructions and produced something that as a result has no value to me. Am I still meant to pay for those hours? How does Upwork treat work not done as requested?"

How Upwork treats this is much less important than how YOU treat it.

Given the fact that you are the client... it is totally up to you whether or not you want to continue working with this freelancer. You could choose to stop working with the freelancer and never work with him again.

You could choose to tell the freelancer that those hours were spent on work you didn't ask for, and you could tell the client to choose between:
a) you may delete those hours from the work diary so that I do not pay for them

[or]

b) I will close the contract and you will not be working on this project anymore.

Is it possible to dispute hours done during the past work week?

Yes, it is possible for a client to do that

But that is not what effective clients focus on. Effective clients fire underperforming freelancers rather than allow them to continue working on the project and then trying to clean up messes after they have already logged hours.

In fact, I think one of the best ways for any client to save money and make sure that their money is well spent on Upwork is to decide that they will never file a dispute and never try to get any money back from a freelancer. If a client decides to do that, then it helps focus his project management efforts much more effectively.

A simple way to categorize clients is into two groups:

The "Group D" client says: "I am going to pay this freelancer $500 to make a PointPoint presentation for me. If it doesn't work out I'll try to get my money back from her."

The "Group N" client says "I am going to pay this freelancer to create a PowerPoint slide for me for $50. If I like her work, I will ask her to contnue working on the project. I will check her work as she submits it, especially at the beginning, to make sure that she is providing me with the quality that I need."

Latest Articles
Learning Paths