cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How Do I pay a freelancer for a test sample before actually hiring for fixed price job

David V Member Since: Aug 9, 2017
1 of 3

If I have a fixed price project; and I am currently shortlisting candidates.

I want my shortlisted applicants for the project to do a small paid test for me (ie: design a small test logo for $USD50 etc.) so that I can make my final decision on which freelancer to hire to do my project. How do I go about paying said candidates though upwork for the small work?

Do I just include the test cost in the budget of the fixed price project? Do I pay them though Paypal outside of upwork? Is there something I am missing in the contracts tab? what are my options?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 3

Hi David, welcome to Upwork!

You can use the Hire Now button on the shortlisted freelancers profile to set up and hire them on a separate contract, covering only the test portion of the contract. Once you decide on the freelancer for your project, you can hire them through their proposal or again through their profile, thus creating a new contract for the job.

You can also opt for getting assistance from our dedicated team, helping new client post their jobs and invite best talent for their specific project. I'd also strongly advise you to review the client resources we shared here.  Let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Direct payments are prohibited by our ToS and all payments need to be processed through Upwork.

Community Guru
Hiu Chun L Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
3 of 3

Let's say you want someone to do a project for $1,000, and you are going to pay $5 for each of the shortlisted applicants to do the test.

You just need to make a $5 offer to each of them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS