🐈
» Forums » Clients » How can I change my profile from freelancer t...
Page options
andreeakeyne
Community Member

How can I change my profile from freelancer to client?

Hey,

I just signed up on Upwork for a client account. How can I change my default freelancer account with a client account? 

Should I delete the new account a start again?

Thank you!

40 REPLIES 40
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrea,

You can create a client profile on your existing account. To do this, please click on your photo in the upper-right corner > go to Settings > scroll down and click on the "+ Create a company" link on the left side of the page > choose "Create a Client Company". After you complete all the steps, you'll be able to switch between your Freelancer and Client profiles in the account view menu (the one that appears in the upper-right corner after clicking on your photo).

Once your client profile is set up, please follow advice and instructions shared in this Help article and post your first Upwork job. Also, follow this link and visit our Hiring Headquarters to find all the information and best practice advice designed to help guide you through the hiring process on Upwork.

If you need any assistance, feel free to post your questions in the Clients forum.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Does it even exist? I can't seem to find "Create a company" anywhere on the Setting page.

Hi Biyan,

When you go to Settings on the lower left part of the page you will find the "Create a company" link. Here is how it should look like and hope this helps!

Screenshot from August 27, 2017 1-29 PM.png

My menu looks very different:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

@Davide D wrote:

My menu looks very different:

Because you're in Memberships and Connects....

wrong.jpg

You need to be in the main settings menu (just click on this link)

create client account.jpg

diwada
Community Member

Got it! Thanks for explaining that, now I see it!

BTW, from a UI/UX standpoint is a terrible design to have an item pop up at the bottom of a general menu only when you select a voice in the middle of the menu. It should always be there no matter which menu item is selected (as it's part of the menu), or pop up with an indendentation right below "Contact Info".

Just my 2cents from years in UX design.

Thank you again for the help

Davide

robmcdan
Community Member

+1, I literally spent 20 minutes trying to find this button.

(also apparently it's impossible to figure out how to delete comments.)

Hello Rob,

I just checked your account and I could see that you have already created a client account. If you have more concern, you may post it here in the community and we'll be here to assist you. Thank you.

Untitled
dtarrx
Community Member

Still no option to create company.

Ideas ?

cylver1z
Community Member

Hi Dan,

I just checked your account and I see you communicated with our Support team. If you have further questions, feel free to reach out to us here at any time.

Thank you

Untitled
alosada01
Community Member

Go to My Teams... apparently they changed the layout and there is no explaination anywhere. Had to literally click every menu optoin to find it. Pretty poor layout.

erik-hill
Community Member

I am still trying to find it as well. I don't have a button under the notification settings.

Hi Nadia,

Please click on your profile picture to switch from your freelancer account to your client account. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hey! Please tell me how to do it. For me is not working

Hi Ignacia,

You can switch between your client and freelancer profile by clicking on your profile picture in the top right corner.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello,

I'm also trying to find this. I'm in contact info but there are no other options to select create company.

Hi Cynthia,

I checked your account, and it looks like you already created a client account. To switch from your freelancer account to your client account, please click on your profile picture.

~ Joanne
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Davide,

Looks like you were able to create your freelancer profile. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi there! Even after going through all these screenshots it seems like my interface looks completely different. I am not able to find this option. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bill, 

Could you please try going to this page and see if you are able to see the Create Company link? 

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 12.08.53 PM.png

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi! I think I must give up on this. Even with a direct link there is nothing. By now I have looked everywhere. I will open another account rather. This is very bad interface....

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear that, Bill. I went ahead and asked the Customer Support Team to reach out to you and assist you with this. 

~ Avery
Upwork
farahim
Community Member

There is no "Creat a Company" page or anything, anymore. Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 2.55.26 PM.png

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Farahim, 

I'll share your account information with the team so that they can assist you in creating a Company. Is this for an agency or a client company? 

~ Avery
Upwork

I also cant create an account to hire a freelancer. Could you please look into this for my account. Surely this is common problem why cant you fix  it and make it easy to simply add the feature. I spent an hour going through the forums and you Community Bots. I almost thought of deleting the account and try other providers.

Hi Vincent, 

I checked your account and you should be able to go to My Teams (Settings > My Teams), to create a new account. 

Let me know if you have other questions, or need further assistance with this. 

~ Avery
Upwork
3dimpulse
Community Member

Dear Upwork. Please... fix this layout. Why... why is it under "My Teams?" makes no sense. Took me a while to find it. Actually had to search forums before I could find it. 

Hi there, 

I tried this method (among others) and it told me I didn't have access to do that. Is there a true solution?

Hi Elisabeth,

I checked and it looks like you were able to start the process of creating your client account.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello, how do I set my default login to "client" and not "freelancer"?

Thank you!

Hi Blake,

The only option available is for you to manually switch from your freelancer profile to your client profile by clicking on your profile picture. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

i have tried to create a client account from my existing account but i cant see the option for creat company, why is it so......

Hi Isaac,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if the issue persists? Please follow these steps to create a client account: 

• Go to Settings  My Teams and choose the Create New Account button at the bottom.
  • Choose New Client Account
  • Once set up, use the account menu at the top-right of your screen to switch between using Upwork as a client, freelancer, or agency

Let us know if are still unable to create a client account so that we can assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
f30c11f6
Community Member

This is not working for me. I have tried everything mentioned in this thread. Also I have tried different browsers. 

Please help.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kenan,

Could you please try to create a client account on your current account by following up on instructions in this help article?

Feel free to reach back to us if you need any additional assistance!

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

The link you gave doesn't work. It opens the page and then transfers to the main page. Moreover, I attached the screen how my menu looks like. How can I become the client? Why is it so complicated?

Hi Artem,

I sent you a private message with more information on this. Kindly check the message and let me know if you need further help.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi, I completed an hourly Job on Monday 10th/01/2021, the contract has ended and my client gave his feedback but Job is yet to reflect on my Profile page and my reports. Please help me solve the issues. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths