🐈
» Forums » Clients » How can I get a refund? Promised 1 week, been...
Page options
53f0972d
Community Member

How can I get a refund? Promised 1 week, been 10 days and did maybe 1 hour of work...

I hired a freelancer to setup my Shopify store from start to finish, I asked him how long the thought it would take, he told me he would be done in 7 days, it has now been 10 days and he has currently done about 1 hour of work, at best. I had a milestone for 50% task completed where I was going to pay him 50% then upon completion, pay him the rest of the money for our fixed rate. I have decided that this was a mistake to hire him and I would like to spend the money on a far more suited freelancer but when I go to cancel the contract, it says "You'll be prompted to provide feedback and make any final payments in the following steps" - This is not what I wish to do.. I do not want to pay him 50% in escrow and then be forced to pay the other 50% in the "following steps"? I do not wish to pay him for anything considering he's only done about 5% of the job.. I would not be opposed to pay him for the 1 hour of work as I do realize he actually put in the time on my site so basically, how would I cancel the contract and not pay him anything except pay his him hourly rate for a total of 1 hour?

6 REPLIES 6
holymell
Community Member

You can request a refund of the funds in escrow after you've ended the contract. I think it's best that you do offer to pay him for the work he did put in because that way you can still leave honest feedback for the freelancer on his profile. If you get a total refund, you can't leave feedback.

I have talked with him and he has ended the contract. I am just curious as to what happens now, like with my money in escrow (the money I already paid for the milestone in escrow) and now is that it, he ended the contract so i'll just be reimbursed for my milestone payment and thats it thats all basically?

petra_r
Community Member

@Chris S wrote:

I have talked with him and he has ended the contract. I am just curious as to what happens now, like with my money in escrow (the money I already paid for the milestone in escrow) and now is that it, he ended the contract so i'll just be reimbursed for my milestone payment and thats it thats all basically?

The funds are being sent back to the payment method they came from in the first place. Takes 2 or 3 days, sometimes up to 5.

odinsql
Community Member

Have you learned anything from this? Where do you think you went wrong in the hiring process? 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear your freelancer was unable to meet your expectations, Chris. 

When ending a contract, you will have the option to request for a refund for any money in escrow. You may learn more about this by visiting this help article

~ Avery
Upwork

The best strategy is to never waste time with refunds. If a freelancer's work does not meet your expectations, then stop working with her and work with other people.

It is better to pay some people for work you can't use than to try to chase down refunds.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths