🐈
» Forums » Clients » How can I get refund from freelancer?
Page options
3d7962e8
Community Member

How can I get refund from freelancer?

I have been deceived by a freelancer. He gave me a copy paste material. Unfortunately, I released the milestone. As I realised that all material is a copied material, I sent him many refund requests but he never replied. Please any one tell me how would I get my money back.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
crayhernandez
Community Member

Hi Amir,

Sorry to hear the freelancer didn't deliver the work as agreed. I checked and unfortunately the payment doesn't qualify for dispute assistance anymore. Please, see the links Preston shared in his post for more information about that. That said, please feel free to report the freelancer either by flagging his profile or by flagging a message. Here is how (https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063118-Report-Suspicious-User-Activity)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
3d7962e8
Community Member

A freelancer cheated me and gave me all copy paste material. Unfortunately, I released the milestone without checking the plegirism. As I checked, I was shocked, it was100% copy. I sent him many refund money requests, but of no use. Can any one tell me what to do and where to complain.
3d7962e8
Community Member

I have been deceived by a freelancer. He gave me a copy paste material. Unfortunately, I released the milestone. I sent him many refund requests but he never replied. Please any one tell me how would I get my money back.
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "A freelancer cheated me and gave me all copy paste material. Unfortunately, I released the milestone without checking the plegirism. As I checked, I was shocked, it was100% copy. I sent him many refund money requests, but of no use. Can any one tell me what to do and where to complain."

In the future, do not release payment until you check the materials.

Also: Do not hire that freelancer again.

Is there any way to get my money back?

re: "Is there any way to get my money back?"

Probably not.

The intended way to do things is for clients to review the work before releasing payment to the freelancer. That is what the escrow system is for. The money remains under the client's control until he releases it.

You can read more details here:

Upwork Payment Protection

Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions

How much money was it?

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 3.01.21 PM.png

kat303
Community Member

Amir K wrote:
Is there any way to get my money back?

When did you release the funds in escrow? (was it more then 30 days ago?)

3d7962e8
Community Member

Kathy, I released money more than 3 months ago
kat303
Community Member

Amir K wrote:
Kathy, I released money more than 3 months ago

When work is delivered to you, you don't have to release the funds in escrow right then and there. You have 14 days from the date the freelancer submitted the work to you by clicking on the Submit Work/Request payment button to review, test, and approve the delivered work before you release  funds.. Even after that, from the date you release the funds in escrow you actually have 30 days in which to file a dispute  Since it's been more then 3 months there's nothing at this point that you can do to get a refund and/or file a dispute. 

In the future, use that time to carefully review the work before releasing any escrowed funds. IMO I think 14/30 days is way more then enough time to find out any problems with the work. And if you're not knowledgeable  about what the results should be, hire a project manager to keep track of the work being done and the results that are delivered. 

crayhernandez
Community Member

Hi Amir,

Sorry to hear the freelancer didn't deliver the work as agreed. I checked and unfortunately the payment doesn't qualify for dispute assistance anymore. Please, see the links Preston shared in his post for more information about that. That said, please feel free to report the freelancer either by flagging his profile or by flagging a message. Here is how (https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063118-Report-Suspicious-User-Activity)

Thank u Mary H for replying.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths