🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: How do I Ban a Freelancer
Page options
the_gunz_evile
Community Member

How do I Ban a Freelancer

Hi upwork community,

Me and my team been working on a project for 3 months (onsite project) and we need someone to do the HTML/CSS layout since we are too busy, and so for the first time I have hired a freelancer through upwork.

I have a strict deadline to meet which is 2 weeks, and this freelancer promises to finish in one week but still I gave him 2 weeks of time, but then he asked for an additional 1 week regarding with his graduation at the university and so I gave an additional time of 1 week (3 weeks in total).

Days after I hired him, I realized that he also accepted work from other clients and put aside of my work, so repeatedly I ask him to show the progress of my job, he said he will finish the job before the deadline. But till now even after the deadline comes this person has not given me any progress, not even reply my message.

This is very detrimental to me because I need this job finished on time, all of my team has finished their job except this freelancer, I can't do anything in front of my client but asking for more weeks to finish, this freelancer just ruined my reputation that I have built for years, this is my first time I made my client dissappointed.

Is there a way I can ban him from upwork ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ganang:

I'm sorry that this happened to you.

For future reference:

As a general rule, if you have a "strict deadline" (to use your words) then you will not want to hire just one stranger upon whom the success of your project hinges.

When there is a strict deadline, only work with freelancers you are familiar with and have worked with enough in the past to know that they will deliver on time.

Or hire multiple freelancers to do the same work - enough to "hedge your bets" and make sure that you will end up with the materials you need, delivered on time.

If you hire using hourly contracts, and explain that this is a team project which will be over when you have the work that you need, then you can safely and politely close all the contracts when the work is completed, and thus minimize the amount of "extra" money you spend on work you don't need.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
wlyonsatl
Community Member

No.

But you can provide clear and accurate feedback for him when you close or cancel the project, so other clients will know he is unreliable.

Ganang:

I'm sorry that this happened to you.

For future reference:

As a general rule, if you have a "strict deadline" (to use your words) then you will not want to hire just one stranger upon whom the success of your project hinges.

When there is a strict deadline, only work with freelancers you are familiar with and have worked with enough in the past to know that they will deliver on time.

Or hire multiple freelancers to do the same work - enough to "hedge your bets" and make sure that you will end up with the materials you need, delivered on time.

If you hire using hourly contracts, and explain that this is a team project which will be over when you have the work that you need, then you can safely and politely close all the contracts when the work is completed, and thus minimize the amount of "extra" money you spend on work you don't need.

kat303
Community Member

In the future, if you have a strict deadline, and the freelancer has not produced any work during the 1 week he said he could do it, then close the contract, and hire a more reliable freelancer. 

No, youi can't ban him because he hasn't "scammed" you, he just didn't do any work for you. As already stated, you can give an honest, professional review and feedback. 

As a client you have the right to see AND get work that's being done. During that 1st week, if you didn't see the freelancer working on your job, or if you didn't get some of the work being done, you can and should close the contract

yitwail
Community Member

Ganang P wrote:

I have a strict deadline to meet which is 2 weeks, and this freelancer promises to finish in one week but still I gave him 2 weeks of time, but then he asked for an additional 1 week regarding with his graduation at the university and so I gave an additional time of 1 week (3 weeks in total).

Ganang, you were being too nice. This freelancer didn't learn he would graduate from his university after you hired him. In every college I've heard of, graduation dates are set many months ahead of time so students can invite friends and relatives to come to the graduation. So he's a liar, but all you can do now is cancel the project and give him a very negative review.