🐈
» Forums » Clients » How do I ask a contractor to sign the Optiona...
Page options
e73d5021
Community Member

How do I ask a contractor to sign the Optional Service Contract Terms?

How do I ask a contractor to sign the Optional Service Contract Terms? Is there a box that I check off when hiring them to get them to sign it?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How do I ask a contractor to sign the Optional Service Contract Terms? Is there a box that I check off when hiring them to get them to sign it?"

You don't need to do anything. There is a checkbox that is automatically presented to the freelancer. If they accept the contract, it means they have agreed to the terms.

Thanks. I'm still a litte confused. Since the service contract terms are called Optional, is it possible that a contractor could accept the job without selecting the check box for the Optional Service Contract Terms? Is so, how I can check whether they checked that box or not? Or are they not actually optional?

re: "Thanks. I'm still a litte confused. Since the service contract terms are called Optional, is it possible that a contractor could accept the job without selecting the check box for the Optional Service Contract Terms? Is so, how I can check whether they checked that box or not? Or are they not actually optional?"

I don't blame you if it seems confusing.

But the bottom line is you really DO NOT NEED TO THINK ABOUT this. If you just don't worry about it, then it's all handled automatically.

The freelancer can't avoid checking the box. The freelancer agrees to the agreement, or the freelancer does NOT accept the contract.

The contract terms are "optional" in this sense: If you and the freelancer WANT TO DO SO, you may create another contract which supersedes Upwork's default contract.

Upwork's default contract terms between the freelancer and client are ALWAYS IN EFFECT, unless you proatively set up something different between the two of you.

But elements of the Optional Service Contract Terms that are between the freelancer and Upwork itself - those remain in effect always. And they are "optional" in the sense that the freelancer doesn't have to use Upwork if they don't want to. If they're using Upwork, then these terms are not "optional."

You can read more about these terms here.

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 6.20.08 PM.png

Latest Articles
Learning Paths