cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I ensure the freelancer's code is trustworthy?

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
11 of 15

Hi Nathan:

I'm a PM (although not for this area of expertise) and I typically am hired and then become responsible for hiring the freelancer that is going to do the work for my clients.

If you go this route, I have a few suggestions:

1. Make sure your PM has great history on the platform, with hours, feedback and job descriptions to support their experience. Specific project management experience is what you're looking for.

2. Word your job ad to reflect the type of management you require.  In your case, a web dev project manager with demonstrable experience would be preferrable. This is a very specialized niche; you want to make sure you get the right person.

3. Don't make your PM your hiring manager immediately.  Instead, have him/her spend some time developing a project plan, a SWOT analysis and a Gantt chart to prepare your project for launch.  This shouldn't take more than a couple of days and it will give you a very good idea of the skills they possess.

Sometimes clients worry that they'll be paying for hundreds of PM hours and, honestly, this shouldn't be the case if you have made a good choice.  For instance, I think I've billed less than 30 hours for a project I'm currently doing, simply because the freelancers I hired are doing all the work, and doing it well.  My time is limited to checking their work, tracking their hours and ensuring we are on track.

I hope this helps!

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
12 of 15

Another leaner approach is to take your project and break it down into at least one small area that can produce meaningful results but in a short time period.  Then look for the right developer and have them produce that specific item.  Make it small enough that your monetary commitment is comfortable but meaningful enough that you get a good sense of the freelancers working style, commitment, communication, and output. 

If all goes well with the above you can either continue in this iterative way or, if you feel the project is large enough, bring in another developer or PM (or they can be one in the same).  You can also bring in another developer at periodic intervals to do a spot check of the work. 

So you do have options to fit your budget and comfort level from handling more yourself as described above to getting a PM to handle it for you.  However, in the end this is your project and money.  Be actively involved even if the PM or developer seems great.  You know your vision and needs better than anyone.  Don't outsource that.

3970c18a
Nathan D Member Since: Sep 6, 2016
13 of 15

Thank you, Scott, that makes sense to me.

If I had an existing code base would it be a good idea to use some versioning tools such as SVN so that I could see what has been committed and review the files that have been changed? Is this is the usual method?

claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
14 of 15

@Nathan D wrote:

How do I know the code is not malicious?

Secure your server, run scans, take proper steps to protect your website from malicious attacks.... one doesn't need login info to do harm.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 15

@Claudia Z wrote:

Secure your server, run scans, take proper steps to protect your website from malicious attacks.... one doesn't need login info to do harm.

Doesn't save you from a back door. Smiley Wink That's what happens a lot with these free themes and plugins.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS