🐈
» Forums » Clients » How do I even hire someone?
Page options
pualm
Community Member

How do I even hire someone?

I finally managed to find a profile of someone I want to hire, which is difficult since I must click on every single profile and scroll right to the bottom just to see some work samples, but what is infinitely more difficult is there is absolutely no way to contact them! How are you expected to get anything done on this website when there is no way to communicate with someone?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cupidmedia
Community Member

Paul, you can use the one account for both client and freelancer functions. If your account is a freelancer account, you just have to add a client account to it. If in the menu across the top of your screen you have "Find Work" you currently have a freelancer account. Click your name in the top-right corner and then click Settings. Scroll down to the bottom and on the left you should see "Create a company". Click that and follow the instructions to add a client account. You can then use that account to create a job and then find freelancers to do that job. You need to create a job before you can start inviting freelancers to apply to it, you can't just start messaging freelancers.

PS - no one is going to give you suggestions on other websites to use because this is the Upwork forum.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
p_valdes
Community Member

Read the FAQs.

My guess is that you are trying to hire from a freelancer account. Have you a client account?.

pualm
Community Member

Why do I need a specific type of account? I have no idea what type of account it is because I created it years ago, but why can't I use the account I've already got?

If you're honestly telling me I need two different accounts that's an appaullingly badly desgined system, not least of all because it's entirely unclear that I have the wrong type.

p_valdes
Community Member

You are welcome

Have you posted a job?  Once you do that, you can invite the freelancer to interview.

mtngigi
Community Member

You don't need to create a different account and in fact you're only allowed to have one account.

But if you created it "years ago", I would suggest you contact customer support to find out how to change it from a freelancer to a client account (if it was set up as a freelancer account).

pualm
Community Member

Why are you not allowed to have two accounts if the Upwork product managers have created a false dichotomoy between "freelancer" and "client"? It's false because there is a use case known as "subcontracting" in which one may be both a freelancer and a client which this poorly designed site does not seem to acknowledge nor support.

In any case it seems like more hassle than it is worth to try to get my account "fixed", whatever that would entail and whether or not it would even be possible. I would rather pursue an alternative website where I can find someone willing to do 2D vector illustratation. Do you have any suggestions?

cupidmedia
Community Member

Paul, you can use the one account for both client and freelancer functions. If your account is a freelancer account, you just have to add a client account to it. If in the menu across the top of your screen you have "Find Work" you currently have a freelancer account. Click your name in the top-right corner and then click Settings. Scroll down to the bottom and on the left you should see "Create a company". Click that and follow the instructions to add a client account. You can then use that account to create a job and then find freelancers to do that job. You need to create a job before you can start inviting freelancers to apply to it, you can't just start messaging freelancers.

PS - no one is going to give you suggestions on other websites to use because this is the Upwork forum.

Yes, Jennifer explained it better than I did; that you're not changing, but rather adding to your existing account. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

pualm
Community Member

>no one is going to give you suggestions on other websites to use because this is the Upwork forum.

Why not? If you are unwilling to mention your competitiors it suggests you are afraid of them which makes me eager to discover them and find out why. In the Information Age it's pretty ignorant to assume deliberately withholding information would do little more than make me distrust your company.

mtngigi
Community Member

It's not "our" company - we are independent freelancers; but since this is Upwork's forum, they would frown upon competitor sites being overtly named. Since I myself create 2-D vector graphics, I'd rather not tell clients to go elsewhere - there's nothing "fearful" about it. 

Regardless, it's rather easy to find all those "other" sites without our help - Google is your friend.

pualm
Community Member

In any case, I don't think this site is well suited to my needs because, thanks to Jennifer's response, I now understand I must "create a company" in order to proceed. However, I do not represent a company, I am an indivudal looking to connect with other individuals which is a relationship this site does not seem well configured to support; therefore I would be more interested in finding one that does.

I don't know...it took me about five minutes to set up my client account and I've been happily hiring people since then, with no angst at all.  

cupidmedia
Community Member

Paul, promoting ANY product or service, competitor or not, is against the Community Guidelines. Like others have said, it's not hard for you to find competitors if you want.

And the "create a company" link is probably not well named, its just to create a client account which enables you to hire freelancers.

In any case, if you're not happy with Upwork you are of course free to go elsewhere.

elastella
Community Member

@Paul M wrote:

>no one is going to give you suggestions on other websites to use because this is the Upwork forum.

Why not? If you are unwilling to mention your competitiors it suggests you are afraid of them which makes me eager to discover them and find out why. In the Information Age it's pretty ignorant to assume deliberately withholding information would do little more than make me distrust your company.

In the information age (and on any freelancer website) it's pretty ignorant to assume you can hire people without posting a job or even qualifying as a client (verifying you can actually pay for the work).

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Thank you! 

Exactly what I was searching for. 

I tried this. I get an error when I hit "Create Client Company". An error comes up and says "This page is for clients only." Suggestions?

CORRECTION: Just figured it out. Went back and checked under my "Settings" and client setting was created (several times! oh my. lol. I must delete those).

Thanks. It worked.

Hi Jayne,

Sorry you ran into errors when creating a client-company. I'm glad it still worked out. I'll share this with the team so they could investigate if there are any issues with creating client-companies.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I hope I will never bid on Paul's jobs...

I’m having trouble as well it say freelance and I can’t book someone to help me with my job. Seems like poor design need help please. 

yes.  I click hire and I get a 3 page document and on the 3rd pay it says cance or continue, however, the continue is not lit up to click and the hire i click did not go thru.  What should I do.  I am new to UpWork.  Joan

Hi Joan,

I checked and it looks like you have already sent an offer successfully. Once the freelancer accepts the offer, it will become an active contract. Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths