🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: How do I extend the due date for a milest...
Page options
goel4ever
Community Member

How do I extend the due date for a milestone?

My freelancer had been occupied with other job and did not had enough time to complete the (fixed-price) work within the target due date for a funded milestone. I do not have any problems with it, however to release the funds I would like to extend his due date to future, once the job is completed. Can anyone suggest best possible approach here? 

My last resort would be to cancel the job and create a new one for him. I just wanted to avoid doing that and result in confusion.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yeasir A wrote:
Anshul,
Yes, you can change the due date for a milestone that hasn't been funded by clicking "Edit" on the right next to the milestone title.
Remember, there is no option to change the due date for a funded milestone.

What is your point? He asked about a funded (!) milestone...

Anshul, please don't worry about the due date, which has absolutelly no effect on anything, it is purely a point of reference between freelancer and client, and going beyond the due date does not do anything or create a problem for you or the freelancer.

The only thing you need to bear in mind is that the milestone must not sit there for 90 days without anything happening, as that will cause issues. But the due date, as such, is irrelevant.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
yeasir_arafat_13
Community Member

Anshul,
Yes, you can change the due date for a milestone that hasn't been funded by clicking "Edit" on the right next to the milestone title.

Yeasir A wrote:
Anshul,

What is your point? He asked about a funded (!) milestone...

Anshul, please don't worry about the due date, which has absolutelly no effect on anything, it is purely a point of reference between freelancer and client, and going beyond the due date does not do anything or create a problem for you or the freelancer.

The only thing you need to bear in mind is that the milestone must not sit there for 90 days without anything happening, as that will cause issues. But the due date, as such, is irrelevant.

Thanks Petra for clarifying in detail!

taralexa
Community Member

Dear, my friends freelancers,

My client changed direction in the middle of the project and he agreed that I can submit work after deadline of milestone because it was major change(and it was still just a few days) but then he used it against me in the dispute and I was forced to refund him as Mediator supported just his side. I was thereatened by arbitration and mediator believed every single lie client told but never listened to my side no matter what I said.. He asked for refund after 2 weeks of closing the project and even identifying in 5 star that I did extra work and was especially good! So that's how the free work gets done using upwork:).  I worked 14 hours a day for 3 weeks (without weekends!) and then had to give 3000$ back just because we have 0 rights here. So, you better meet those deadlines - as they DO matter and it will be used against You. 

Hi Aukse,

I'm sorry about the outcome of this contract. Firstly, I'd like to clarify that Milestone due dates do not affect the contract or any aspect of the freelancer's reputation. Agreeing on extending the delivery date is a regular business occurrence and the only thing that needs to be ensured is that both parties are aware and in agreement regarding the delivery date.

I reviewed the conversation on your mediation and related tickets. While unfortunately, I won't be able to discuss the nature of the issue which arose on this contracts, I'd like to confirm that our team communicated with you and your client and managed the dispute in line with our internal procedures. I see the dispute was resolved during the mediation phase and hasn't proceeded to arbitration. I'd also like to clarify that our team doesn't take sides in a dispute nor makes a determination in a disagreement.

Please take a look at the Dispute Assistance Program details described in article 6. of Escrow Fixed-Price Instructions and you can also find more information about the general dispute process in the description Valeria posted here.

I understand your sentiment towards the dispute's outcome and while we're available to provide more information about how the process works here in the forums, please follow up on your most recent ticket in case you'd like to discuss any specific information and our team will gladly follow up to continue the conversation.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anshul, 

I would like to confirm that the deadlines for milestones are optional and you can choose not to set it. It sounds like you have been informed that the freelancer will be delayed in submitting work. Submitting work after the date specified will not directly affect the contract.

~ Avery
Upwork
goel4ever
Community Member

Hello Avery,

Thanks for the prompt response. Yes, I have been informed of the delayed work by one of the freelancer. Based on your inputs it seems like:

1. Freelancer cannot be paid unless I approve or they deliver the work and then request to be paid regardless of the due date set.

2. I will still be able to cancel the contract if the work still does not get delivered after the due date?

Kindly confirm if this is accurate.

Thanks,

Anshul

Anshul G wrote:

1. Freelancer cannot be paid unless I approve or they deliver the work and then request to be paid regardless of the due date set.

2. I will still be able to cancel the contract if the work still does not get delivered after the due date?

1. Correct

2. Correct

Latest Articles
Learning Paths