🐈
» Forums » Clients » How do I file a complaint for non-quality wor...
Page options
2f87fb19
Community Member

How do I file a complaint for non-quality work given to a freelancer?

Hi!

I have given proof reading and para phrasing job to the freelancer. I am not satisfied with the quality. The freelancer has said this is maximum quality that she can offer and the english editing quality is not up-to mark.

Please let me know the process. 

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is not Upwork's intention that clients "file a complaint" the quality of a freelancer's work. That is why there is no tool for doing so.

If you hire a freelancer using an hourly contract, then you pay for a freelancer's time.

If you hire a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, then you pay for a specific deliverable.

re: "I have given proof reading and para phrasing job to the freelancer. I am not satisfied with the quality. The freelancer has said this is maximum quality that she can offer..."

This freelancer is TELLING THE TRUTH.

This IS the maximum quality that she can offer.

Complaining about the quality of her work is not going to change who she is as a freelancer. She is simply the wrong person for your project.

Upwork has no way to make this freelancer better.

re: "Please let me know the process."

Close the contract.

Hire other freelancers.

Continue working only with the freelancers who provide you with the best value and the quality that you require. Close the contracts on any underperforming freelancers.

It is important to understand that Upwork does NOT ensure the quality of a freelancer's work. Only YOU can decide if a particular freelancer's work is good enough for your project.

What if the quality of the work is not good and the freelancer has denied
the revision. Am I still required to pay the amount?

re: "What if the quality of the work is not good and the freelancer has denied the revision. Am I still required to pay the amount?"

Yes.

Look carefully at the original task agreement. If the freelancer has done what was specified in the agreement, then you are supposed to release payment.

You may CHOOSE to continue working with her. You may CHOOSE to not continue working with her.

But you do not have the choice to hire a freelancer to do a task, and then after she does that task, not pay her. You had a contract in place, and you are expected to honor that contract.

You CAN request a refund. But she can deny the refund request.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062058-Get-an-Escrow-Refund

The purpose of requesting a refund is for a client to be able to request a refund if the freelancer did not do the work. It is not Upwork's intention that a client request a refund when the freelancer DID do the specified task, but the client doesn't "like" the work (or claims to not like the work).

If you look at the original task agreement and see that no specific measure of quality was identified, then such was not part of the agreement. If no "number of revisions" is specified, then you can not demand revisions after the work has been completed.

petra_r
Community Member

Shiwangi S wrote:
What if the quality of the work is not good and the freelancer has denied
the revision. Am I still required to pay the amount?

How much money are we talking about for how much work?

That rather determines if you "got what you paid for" or not. Because as with everything in life, every level of quality has a price.

You can try to close the contract only releasing a part of the money and see if the freelancer agrees to return the rest. 

Depending on the scope and the price it may be more approropriate to just pay her and hire someone else if the freelancer does not agree to a partial payment.

I routinely hire multiple freelancers to do the same task, and then I choose from among their submissions what I like the best.

You are NOT required to do that. But it is important to keep in mind that you ARE NOT REQUIRED to use any freelancer's work if you don't like it.

I hire freelancers and pay for work that I don't use. I plan to pay for work that I am not going to use. Most quality projects of sufficiently large scope do this. For example, a quality movie is the result of multiple takes of the same scenes. Directors and editors intentionally pay cast and crew to film more scenes than they know they will use. A book publisher hires an editor who may remove entire sentences, paragraphs and even chapters from a book before it is published. A photo essay or photography book likely leaves out more photos than it includes. Some of the photographers hired to contribute to the project may end up with NONE of their work in the final product. Some actors who worked on the film may end up with all their scenes cut.

You are not required to do that. But it is an option.

If you want to get money back from this contract, then the best way to do so is to ASK THE FREELANCER.

If you are nice about it and ask her before you close the contract, you stand a better chance at getting some money back. Come to a verbal agreement FIRST, about getting a partial refind, and THEN close the contract. When you close the contract, you can EDIT the amount of money to be released. You can ask for a full or partial refund. If the freelancer and you came to an agreement, then she will accept the refund request. But if you did not discuss it first and get her agreement, she might say no to the refund request.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shiwangi,

I'm sorry to hear about all this. You can close the contract and request a refund for the funds in Escrow. I suggest checking out this help article to learn more about that.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths