🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: How do I leave feedback for a contractor ...
Page options
51e96b74
Community Member

How do I leave feedback for a contractor that did a poor job

How does a person leave a review for a contractor that did a piss poor job. 
I have already lost money, he has gone way past the job deadline and what he did provide was innacurate, and only 2/3 of what I paid for... 

Now he is just ignoring my messages. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
51e96b74
Community Member

I am not sure why there is no contract. I clicked the hire button and paid the fee via upwork. 
I am relatively new here using Upwork, but the fees went to an escrow account until I hired the contractor. I have the receipt of payment to Upwork via my bank account, so for those of you that are saying I must have hired outside of Upwork... it is simply not true.  

This comment is bizzare from Preston ... "If a freelancer turns in poor quality work... who cares?"
I care if I have paid for a job and the freelancer does not do the job I have paid him to do. I will take on board what has happened... but if you hire anyone, be that here or in person, you expect the job to be done. Obviously not everyone is capable and I have learned a lesson to hire more than one freelancer the next time.  And Preston, I don't believe that I made a mistake here.. I hired someone to do a job, based on the persons so called ability and reviews. I paid for it through Upwork as I mentioned. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Peter,

When you're closing a contract you will be asked to provide feedback for the freelancer. Even if the contract is closed from the freelancer's side, you can still open the contract room and provide feedback for your freelancer. To learn more about this, check out this guide. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks, 

Can you tell me how to close a contract? 

Regards

51e96b74
Community Member

I can't seem to find the contract for the job that was assigned to that particular person... 

This person just wont respond to any of my messages. 

Hi Peter,

I checked and you don't seem to have a contract with the freelancer you're referring to, which is why you can't find it. Whenever you start a contract, they'll show under Jobs > All Contracts. I'm afraid that in this case, you won't be able to leave feedback. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a_lipsey
Community Member

Peter L wrote:

How does a person leave a review for a contractor that did a piss poor job. 
I have already lost money, he has gone way past the job deadline and what he did provide was innacurate, and only 2/3 of what I paid for... 

Now he is just ignoring my messages. 

How did you pay the freelancer if you didn't have a contract on Upwork?

Peter:

I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience while using Upwork as a client.

A Forum Moderator has confirmed that you did not have a contract with the freelancer.

Therefore, you can not leave feedback.

Also, you have no basis for contacting the freelancer. This is a freelancer with whom you have no contract, not now, and not in the past. Thus, as far as Upwork is concerned, this matter is over.

I really do want you to be able to succeed in your future efforts as a client. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions about the mistakes that you made. We all make mistakes. That's okay! The important thing is to learn from our mistakes and not make the same mistakes again in the future.

The following tips are for all clients. These tips have nothing to do with the original poster:

1) When you hire a freelancer on Upwork, always make sure that you click the green Hire button, and make sure that the freelancer accepts the offer. If the contract does not show under Jobs > All Contracts, then there is no contract in place.

2) Never pay a freelancer directly. Only pay through Upwork. If a freelancer asks for direct payment, then he is scamming Upwork, or scamming you, or both. Upwork freelancers know the rule about this. Only a scoundrel would ask you to pay him directly instead of through Upwork.

3) An individual freelancer is not responsible for the success of your project. The project manager is responsible for the success of your project.

4) If a freelancer turns in poor quality work... who cares? He is not your nephew. Fire him and assign the work to other team members. If a freelancer is not capable of doing the work at the level of quality you require, then it is not your job to train him. Your priority should be to ensure the success of your project. Your priority should NOT be any individual freelancer.

5) It is normal to hire multiple freelancers and find that some of them are great and some of them are not. Continue working only with the freelancers who provide you with the most value. Fire the rest.

6) The worst thing that can happen to your project is to have freelancers working for free. These people don't care about your project, and they may even resent it and sabotage it. Always keep an eye out for situations in which a freelancer is working for free, and either get rid of that person from your team, or put them on a proper contract so they are getting paid and not working with resentment or animus.

7) If you have an important deadline, you must not hire only one stranger. That doesn't work. Either hire a freelancer you have worked with before and know that he can deliver on time. Or hire multiple freelancers in order to hedge your bets.

8. If a freelancer ignores your messages, then assign needed work to other members of your team.

9) If you have questions, ask your questions in the Community Forum. People here love to assist clients to succeed. People are here 24 hours a day. It is free.

10) Plan to never receive help from Upwork Customer Support in managing your projects or freelancers. That is not their purpose. They are great. But they don't manage projects. And even if they will contact an AWOL freelancer on your behalf... why would you want them to? If a freelancer does not want to talk to you and does not want to work on your project, that is someone you should not rely on.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

This is the most surreal thread I can remember seeing in this forum, ever. Someone has actually kudo'd the OP's comments. The OP who is indignant that he can't leave bad feedback for a FL he's unhappy with, a FL whom he's been paying even though he did not have a contract through the platform and so, could not have been paying via the platform. Kudos? Really?

51e96b74
Community Member

I am not sure why there is no contract. I clicked the hire button and paid the fee via upwork. 
I am relatively new here using Upwork, but the fees went to an escrow account until I hired the contractor. I have the receipt of payment to Upwork via my bank account, so for those of you that are saying I must have hired outside of Upwork... it is simply not true.  

This comment is bizzare from Preston ... "If a freelancer turns in poor quality work... who cares?"
I care if I have paid for a job and the freelancer does not do the job I have paid him to do. I will take on board what has happened... but if you hire anyone, be that here or in person, you expect the job to be done. Obviously not everyone is capable and I have learned a lesson to hire more than one freelancer the next time.  And Preston, I don't believe that I made a mistake here.. I hired someone to do a job, based on the persons so called ability and reviews. I paid for it through Upwork as I mentioned. 

re: "I care if I have paid for a job and the freelancer does not do the job I have paid him to do."

Stop caring.

You are putting the needs of that freelancer ahead of your own needs.

You don't owe him that.

You don't owe him anything.

He is just a stranger on the Internet.

Put yourself and your project first.

re: "I hired someone to do a job, based on the person's so called ability and reviews."

You believed that you could look at a freelancer's profile page and reviews and claimed capability and predict that the freelancer would succeed at completing a given task.

You were wrong.

You will always be wrong if you believe that you can predict such things with certainty.

No client can predict how any individual hire will work out. I have hired over 150 freelancers on Upwork. Most have worked out great. Not all have been great. Some are mediocre. A few are terrible. I don't care about underperforming freelancers. I fire them and I don't hire them again. Stop caring about this person who does not deserve your continued interest.

re: "I don't believe that I made a mistake here.. I hired someone to do a job, based on the persons so called ability and reviews. I paid for it through Upwork as I mentioned."

It sounds like there is some confusion. I am sorry about that.

The Forum Moderator said you never hired that freelancer.

If you do indeed know how to hire a freelancer on Upwork, that is good.

But stop putting concern about that freelancer ahead of your own needs.

You can't give that freelancer feedback. Forget about it. The people who will use your product don't care. They don't know that freelancer's name. They don't know that the freelancer let you down. They do not know and they do not care about the feedback.

If you leave feedback for this freelancer, it is about him, and it is about possible future clients. It is ONLY about other people.

I admire you for your desire to help other clients and I admire you for your concern for the freelancer you hired. But you have done your best to help others. You find yourself getting blocked from doing more. You don't need to do anything else for them.

Put yourself first.

petra_r
Community Member

Peter L wrote:

It sounds like you created an offer but the freelancer has never actually accepted it.

That means you can easily get your money back. Either withdraw the offer or it will expire after 7 days.

In that case, the money is returned to you automatically.

Next we'll have the FL in, outraged that his client unceremoniously dumped him and demanding to how how to recover his "payment".

I apologize for implying you hired outside of UW. I'm glad Petra cleared up how the situation must have occurred, and glad you will get your money back. 

yitwail
Community Member

Peter L wrote:

I care if I have paid for a job and the freelancer does not do the job I have paid him to do. I will take on board what has happened... but if you hire anyone, be that here or in person, you expect the job to be done. 

Peter, I think you & Preston are defining the verb care differently. If you google care, the primary definition, which is the definition you're using, is feel concern or interest; attach importance to something. But the secondary definition, which Preston is using, is look after and provide for the needs of (for example, by providing training to a freelancer). It's the difference between care about and care for. So he's not saying you shouldn't be disappointed in (care about) the freelancer's performance.