cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I refund my money from escrow after a dispute, and a freelancer who declined?

Khongor S Member Since: May 21, 2017
1 of 6

Hi, recently I've hired a freelancer for a job.

After hiring her, in a span of a week, I've tried to contact multiple times, but she didn't respond, plus there were no sign of any progress of the work. I was short in deadline, so after dozens of unanswered messages and mails, I cancelled the contract and tried to refund $50, that was in escrow. 

But as soon as I cancelled the contract, and asked for a refund, the freelancer showed up and declined it. Now, my fund is stuck in escrow, and I don't know how to return it back. I don't want to waste my fund and pay someone who outright ignored her work.

How can I do it, if the freelancer is declining the disputes?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

@Khongor S wrote:

But as soon as I cancelled the contract, and asked for a refund, the freelancer showed up and declined it. Now, my fund is stuck in escrow, and I don't know how to return it back. I don't want to waste my fund and pay someone who outright ignored her work.

How can I do it, if the freelancer is declining the disputes?

The freelancer did not decline the dispute, the freelancer disputed the return of the Escrow funds, which initiated a dispute.

A dispute gets created and an Upwork mediator will guide you through the process.

Khongor S Member Since: May 21, 2017
3 of 6

So, how do I contac the mediator, the fund is pretty much in escrow and I don't know how to handle the situation

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

You could have simply released the $50 and been through with the whole thing. Now you have to continue thinking about her.

By trying to pay her what her work is really worth rather than dismissing her as quickly as possible, you are showing her more respect than she deserves.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

If you had set this up as an hourly contract you could have paid her nothing and there would have been no way for her to start a dispute.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 6

@Preston H wrote:

You could have simply released the $50 and been through with the whole thing. Now you have to continue thinking about her.

That's all well and good when you have enough money to not have to think about having or not having $ 50

In the OP's country a minimum wage worker works 2 and a half weeks full time for $ 50.

Let's not keep telling people to forget about their money without knowing what that money means to them, be it clients who have spent it or freelancers who have earned it.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS