🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: How do I release partial payment to freel...
Page options
992b0430
Community Member

How do I release partial payment to freelancer?

I contracted work for 100 2.0 websites for 50 bucks. however i have decided I want to pay my freelancer in stages at 12.50 for every 25 sites but i do not know how to release only 12.50 out of the 50.00 i have in escrow. help please?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, it's possible. The freelancer can use the "submit work/request payment" button just as if the job were complete, but note 1/4 complete or first 25 sites or something like that and change the amount requested. You can approve the payment and the remaining amount will stay in escrow. You can then create another milestone for the next batch and assign some of the escrowed money to the new milestone.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
yitwail
Community Member

That's generous of you. Good luck!

do you know how to do that?

lysis10
Community Member

lol r u srs? I hope he takes you into arbitration just for fun

992b0430
Community Member

Arbitration? No he is doing the job fine, I want to pay out some of the money now before full project is finished. I'm wondering if that is possible.

Yes, it's possible. The freelancer can use the "submit work/request payment" button just as if the job were complete, but note 1/4 complete or first 25 sites or something like that and change the amount requested. You can approve the payment and the remaining amount will stay in escrow. You can then create another milestone for the next batch and assign some of the escrowed money to the new milestone.

petra_r
Community Member

@Joshua M wrote:

I contracted work for 100 2.0 websites for 50 buck

Seriously?

yitwail
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

@Joshua M wrote:

I contracted work for 100 2.0 websites for 50 buck

Seriously?

Well, as a hypothetical example, a black hat SEO purveyor could have a 100 fake sites created strictly for the purposes of building links to another site which might be populated with articles paid for at a $3 for 500 words rate. 

I have a similar issue ... milestone payment was set up by a prior employee, it is a large amount that I want to break into 2-3 chunks to provide timely payments to our developer for work progress.   I watched a video from 2014 that shows the "Review & Approve" screen with an "edit amount" link ... but I don't see that on any of the pages now ... only a big green "Pay Now" button.   Do I now need have the Freelancer ask me for partial payment?  Or can is there another screen behind the "Pay Now" button that will allow me to make a partial payment against the milestone?

Thanks.  John

Hi John,

On the pre-established milesotne, when you click the green "Pay Now" button, you'll be presented with the option of releasing a smaller amount and leaving the rest of the funds in escrow to apply to new milestones that you want to create. You can select the "Keep the contract open- I've got more work for (Freelancer's name)".

~Nina

Hi Nina,

I know this is an old post, hopefully someone can still answer my question.

Once i press the "pay now" button it goes straight to a "pay" button and no option to

release a lower amount.! Is there another option after pressing the "pay" button? or no turning back?

Regard,

Nick

Did you ever solve this? we are having this same problem.

petra_r
Community Member

Shea M wrote:

Did you ever solve this? we are having this same problem.

Just click on "Pay" and adjust the amount during the next step.

taplink
Community Member

Just click on "Pay" and adjust the amount during the next step.

Way too nerve wracking to click that button - no way to know it's going to provide a chance to reduce the amount on the next screen! I didn't risk clicking it, and requested the contractor ask for a partial payment instead.

You are right.

Thinking about the image... the screen...

It IS nerve wracking. The button offers no assurances that you'll be able to edit the amount.

At the very least it would be nice if there was a NOTE right under the button telling you that you will be able to edit the amount if necessary.

Agreed! This is very poor UI design Upwork!

aqbalkumar
Community Member

i think its good

Latest Articles
Learning Paths