🐈
» Forums » Clients » How do i file a complaint
Page options
bemp1987
Community Member

How do i file a complaint

I need either the email or phone number to the corporate office to file a complaint. I am in dispute with a freelancer that was hired to complete work that was agreed and signed by the freelancer prior to the start of the project. The freelancer has been paid and is now refusing to complete the work that was agreed to. I have spent approximately $10,000 or more with this agency as all part of this project only to find that the agency owner has backpeddled on many promises, late on all deliverables, not lived up to managing the project, and is now refusing to complete the development that was signed and agreed to. As a customer since this platform was o-desk, and having spent tens of thousands of dollars through this platform i will NOT accept anything short of total satisfaction including and up-to a refund from the freelancer along with the suspension of the freelancer. I have a legal team engaged should your company not be willing to participate in resolution. Please provide how i can formally escalate this issue. 

51 REPLIES 51
versailles
Community Member

Ben, that sucks and I'm sure someone with Upwork will chime in (I pinged them), but you need to provide more information about the contract. Was this a fixed rate contract or a hourly contract?

Did you pay in advance? I'm asking because this is a big no-no when working with remote contractors and definitely not how Upwork procedures work.

Edit: Upwork Payment Protection

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Guys, I have been charged hourly rate by a freelancer who has been told to stop a month before. He went and took another $586 off my account.. why is it that I cannot contact upwork to stop this payment going through. Why is it that I have lodged two disputes with the freelancer and still upwork hasn't stepped in??

Very annoyed with this so called service and protection
petra_r
Community Member

Richard H wrote:
Guys, I have been charged hourly rate by a freelancer who has been told to stop a month before.

Why didn't you pause or even end the contract back then? The second you pause (or end) a contract, no more time can be logged?

Richard H wrote:
. Why is it that I have lodged two disputes with the freelancer and still upwork hasn't stepped in??

You have 5 days from the end of each work week to dispute the previous work week's hours (only). Did you dispute the hours in time every week? By properly filing a dispute, during the five days after the work week (NOT by clicking on "Request Refund")

Is the contract now paused (or ended)?

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hey Aleksandar D, I want to launch a complaint too please contact me thankyou 🙂

Hello Pro T,

Thank you for your message. Could you please tell us more about your concern?

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Your upworker **Edited for Community Guidelines** stole my idea manuscript and illustrations for Super grandma to the rescue. I have all the emails please help me 

re: "...stole my idea manuscript and illustrations for Super grandma to the rescue. I have all the emails please help me"

I do not doubt that you feel disappointed right now.

But what you are describing really falls outside of Upwork's standard operating procedures.

I don't think Upwork can help you.

Hi Barb,

I certainly understand why you're upset. I can see that you've reached out to the team about your concern and a support ticket has been created. It's being forwarded to the appropriate team and you should be getting an update once it's been reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Different complaint. A friend of mine here on Upwork for 5 years recommended Upwork to me.  She told me that it's pretty descent money (I disagree...Upwork clients are CHEAP).  However, I have managed to earn almost $15K this year.....up until Aug. 5th. But, I just learned that NOW Upwork is going to send out 1099 K forms to the IRS ad to all Freelancers in Jan. 2023......this is the 1st Year Upwork will send out 1099 K forms. Would have been kind of them to tell us this early in the year.....because I would have QUIT Upwork in January 2022......I'm done with this site. Do any of you even realize that there are many thousands of U.S. Government employees who owe back Federal Income Taxes....including the White House Staff.  Why doesn't the IRS go after ALL Gov't employees??????  Have FUN paying your Income Taxes in 2023....I will pay mine, just not happy about it.

lysis10
Community Member

If it's escrow, you have to go through the mediation and arbitration process (if you guys can't come to an agreement). If it's hourly, then it's all about the tracker and the dispute period.

It's useless to call either way, because they will just tell you that you're stuck in mediation or an hourly dispute. A dispute person is assigned to you and you can discuss it with them. I've had clients rage and call before and they were told to stick to the mediation process.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ben,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you have with your freelancer. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I do not know if I am to write here are start a new thread, yet a freelancer I hired for a sepcific project delivered absolutely nothing. Our company has lost 3 months and most importantly credibility with our major partners as we were relying on this freelancer's capacity to build an EDI solution for us. He set a few things up at first so it seemed as if the project was going somewhere. He confirmed that the system was up and running and stable. Once we started trying to recieve EDI documents, NOTHING was actually in place and we have recieved ongoing fines from our partners and must start from scratch. I will accept nothing less but full reimbursement as nothing of the work done was salvagable. He has since not responded to my or my requests and I believe he has left the Upwork community. Please inform me of what I can do about this.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with this concern.

Thank you for reaching out to us!

~ Bojan
Upwork
1156e24a
Community Member

Hello. 

• I am experiencing a very similar experience on a fixed contract. The freelancer flat out did not provide the promised services and since I am new I just thought I was supposed to request a refund within 7 days of her getting paid, which is what I did, and I need help because she stole $2k without any recourse. I used this platform for protection but feel she knew the bureaucracy would keep her from paying any meaningful price for duping me. Please help ASAP! 

Hi Alizabeth,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

UPWORK hire all sort of Freelancer who even do not know how to do work.

If Upwork know how to take comission then should take full responcibility of these Freelancers.

I have really very bad Experience with upwork Freelancers.

Upwork should make some process, atleast people should know they are choosing Pro Freelancer is 
Street freelancer.

Then no one can complain.

Like buy branded product or cheap product.

That is my suggestion.

I believe big companies like NOKIA fail due to no good service.

Imagine yahoo refuse to buy google.

Now no one no about Yahoo.

Thanks

Saw Wah K wrote:

UPWORK hire all sort of Freelancer who even do not know how to do work.

If Upwork know how to take comission then should take full responcibility of these Freelancers.

I have really very bad Experience with upwork Freelancers.

Upwork should make some process, atleast people should know they are choosing Pro Freelancer is 
Street freelancer.

Then no one can complain.

Like buy branded product or cheap product.

That is my suggestion.

I believe big companies like NOKIA fail due to no good service.

Imagine yahoo refuse to buy google.

Now no one no about Yahoo.

Thanks

You still do not understand. Upwork doesn't hire any freelancers. We are not employees of Upwork. We are not temps. Upwork is simply providing a venue for you to connect with professionals who offer a service you may be interested in. Upwork's commission is a "finder's fee". They have never provided any guarantee as to quality of the work or freelancer and this has always been up to the client to vet, like they would for any other service. 

You are having a bad experience because you are not vetting freelancers properly before you hire then and because you are not using Upwork the way it is intended to be used. I understand you want to use it a different way, but that is not how it's intended to be used, and why you are having problems. 

Maybe Upwork is not a good place for you to find freelancers because your expectation is not what Upwork provides. Perhaps you should look into a local temp agency that can give you what you are looking for? 

I feel like these people are trained in delay tactics. I'm having similar problems and looking for legal options. 

Even you file a complaint, Upwork just simple ignore

Curmay, as a client using Upwork, I find that I have immense flexibility and power to do pretty much whatever I want to do. I have hired over 100 freelancers on the platform. I have never faced a situation where I needed to file a complaint.

Maybe you don't need to file a complaint. Maybe you just lack knowledge about how you can handle this situation yourself. Tell us what the problem is, and we can advise you about how to file a complaint if that is the appropriate action, or how you can take direct action.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused, Curmay!

It looks like you have an open ticket with our support team about this concern. I’ll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket as soon as possible. 

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello moderator, i would like to file a complaint because my employer is telling me that what I did is a fraud. I would like to file a complaint because my employer wanted me to pay the salary I received from them. I would like to discuss my side as I also prepared all the screenshots of my conversation with my workmate who handled my tasks.
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Glenn,

Our team has reached out to you via ticket where you can share your evidence with us and our team will assist you further on your ticket. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
dfc5d33a
Community Member

Hi

I believe the word of **Edited for community guidelines**

After receiving money he is not replying to my messages and his promise to update EA after dispute is resolve.

Can you ask him to be HONEST once in his life and give me update as he promise.

Thanks
Saw Wah

**Edited for community guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Saw Wah,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
dfc5d33a
Community Member

Dear Bojan

I hope someone will contact.

Because when ever i post anything no one contact and later my post is also removed.

But do not worry i always take a snap shot and keep all tract of my conversation with Upwork.

So that when i need to prove my point and lot of other clients from Upwork who are suffering should raise there voice and end this cheating and fraud to clients happing everyday.

Thanks

SAW WAH

Hi Goran -- I'm looking for some help on this same topic.  We have paid in full and don’t have completed work.  We did not dispute invoices when sent because the freelancer assured us he would fix and finish the project and asked us not to hurt him with Upwork.  We agreed to pay him extra to finish (and did).  Not only is it not finished -- none of the code for the latest work has even been pushed to our  server.  He is still asking us not to complain through Upwork and claiming he will fix and finish but at this point I have no confidence and would love it Upwork could initiate something to give him a push.  Any advice as to how I should proceed?  Can you open a ticket for me too?

re: "Any advice as to how I should proceed?"

re: "...at this point I have no confidence and would love it Upwork could initiate something to give him a push."

I read your description of your situation. Now I am imagining this is my project:

I don't have confidence in this freelancer.

I do not want to continue working with him.

I don't have the latest source code on my server, but I recently have learned that genuinely professional freelancers make sure all source code is always avilable to the client. Without needing to ask for it, and regardless of what is going on with payments and contracts.

I have decided to stop working with this freelancer and assign the remaining work to other members of my team.

I am going to try one last time to get all of the source code updated. I am going to tell the freelancer "Don't worry, I am not going to dispute anything. Just send the latest source code so I'm up-to-date."

Then, after the freelancer sends the latest source code, I will close the contract.

If the freelancer doesn't send the latest source code, I will close the contract.

Hi Kirsten,

I'm sorry to hear that. I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will update you directly via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I am filing a complaint about a freelancer: 1. She was not honest person. Everything she was saying was not collaborating with the information on Amazon. I felt like she was tell me anything to make me feel good without delivering good results. 2. I paid her over $2,000 for doing almost nothing. At some point she was running ads on Amazon for the product that was not listed properly. I saw so many mistakes and errors on my listings to the point where I started questioning her motive for taking my project.  3. She was not Communicating with me unless I ask her about the status of something. Otherwise, there was no any communication. I requested her to call me a couple of times, but she refused. Her excuse was her phone was not functioning properly. 4. I notified her via email that I was planing to launch my products on Amazon on Monday thus she should complete everything before then. She replied to me that she was going to work on everything and give me an update on Friday May 28, 2021. I did not hear from her and no changes were made on Amazon, everything was messed up. For this reason I decided to end the contract with her and I am asking upwork to look into this and facilitate on getting my money back. She took my money and nothing major she did for me to pay her that kind of money. Can someone from upwork reach out to me please?

Edwin L wrote:

For this reason I decided to end the contract with her and I am asking upwork to look into this and facilitate on getting my money back. 

Was it an hourly or a fixed rate contract?

If hourly, you are out of time to dispute. 

If fixed rate, you can dispute up to 30 days after the last milestone was released.

petra_r
Community Member

Kristen, the freelancer is playing for time, knowing fully well that your ability to dispute ends 30 days after the last milestone has been released (unless there is still money in escrow).

Tell the freelaner you need all the work that has been done so far on your server today or you will have to dispute (if you still can....)

In future, don't release money until you actually have the deliverables.

2f6651db
Community Member

I am concerned this is what has happened to me. I won't be able to use Upwork again after this experience. 

edbb12c5
Community Member

The two-step verification does not work for me at all. I am here, 30 minutes waiting for the email to come through. Perhaps upwork should hire a freelancer to optimize the 2 step verification process by email

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert, 

I can confirm that the email was sent. Could you please check if it may have gone to your spam or junk folder?

~ Avery
Upwork
faheem-minhas
Community Member

Hi, I have a normal account then I converted it into agency but now I am unable to use the connects. Is it possible to un done this or roll it back.

Hi Faheem,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
sujata1010
Community Member

On June 19th I applied to this app called Vevo, they pushed me to work at night at around 11-12 and wanted me to work even more at night then I stopped it and slept, next day again I worked they were telling me they will add me to their work hour but they didn't and all of a sudden they disappeared and I realized Upwork doesn't do anything to help you, why would Upwork allow people to post a job without verified they can pay or not making sure whether its scam or not, I am not working here anymore, my apple id was blocked and it was so much of hassle to fix it. Never work here.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths