cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i get my money back from escrow? - Customer

Martin M Member Since: Mar 24, 2018
1 of 9
Secured funds with escrow for freelance work (fixed not hourly) , although i havent released any milestones.is my money still being held by Escro?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 9

You have to ask the freelancer to refund you, and if the freelancer refuses, you can dispute it.

Do you have a reason to ask for a refund?

3 of 9
Thanks for responding so quickly.the freelancer has ignored my messages for a month and has not completed the job, so i'm wanting escrow to release the funds. How is this possible?
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 9

You can close the contract. If the freelancer has already requested for the funds to be released, then you will probably have to dispute it, if he or she has disappeared. If you dispute it Upwork will notify the freelancer who then has seven days to refund you, or to contest the refund. If the freelancer ignores the dispute, then the money if it is still in escrow will be automatically refunded to you.

If the freelancer has not already requested funds to be released, then the money in escrow will automatically be refunded to you. Have a look here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062058-Get-an-escrow-refund-on-a-fixed-price-contrac...

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
BEST ANSWER
5 of 9

Hi Martin,

Yes, the money for the milestone is still held in Escrow. If the freelancer didn't deliver work as agreed, you can close the contract and request refund from Escrow. The freelancer will have to either approve the refund or file a dispute. If they don't respond at all, the money will be refunded to you automatically. Please check this Help Article to find out more about Escrow and how to get a refund on money you have put in it.

~ Bojan
Untitled
6 of 9
Ah right. But i tried to cancel the contract and it isnt appearing in my jobs ? Is my money still in escrow then?
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 9

Hi Martin,

I checked and do see your active contract on your home page (My Jobs page/tab) and under the All Contracts tab.

Provided you're checking your account from a computer and not the Upwork mobile app, if you still can't see it when scrolling down, please clear your cache and cookies and try again, try using a different browser and follow up if you need further guidance.

Sinisa M Member Since: Feb 22, 2019
8 of 9

Dear Vladimir,

I have hired one person to do some photo manipulation. Upwork took money from my card, and now the person wrote me a message that he can't do the job. How can I get my money back ?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 9

re: "I have hired one person to do some photo manipulation. Upwork took money from my card, and now the person wrote me a message that he can't do the job. How can I get my money back ?"

It is easy to get your money back.

Close the contract. You will be asked if you want to release funds to the freelancer, or ask for them back. Click the button to ask for all of your money to be refunded back to you.

The freelancer will receive a request to authoirze the refund. He will say "Yes." Your money will automatically be returned to your account within 5 business days.

If the freelancer does nothing, then the system will wait 7 days, and then automatically authorize the request, and you will receive your money back.

Read more about it here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062058-Get-an-escrow-refund-on-a-fixed-price-contrac...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS