cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i rate a freelancer?

Calin B Member Since: Apr 24, 2017
1 of 11

I can't find any way to rate a freelancer i worked with in the past. I've had an unpleasant experience in which he asked for payment upfront but did not deliver the final part of the project.

How do i rate a freelancer?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

Did the contract end less than 2 weeks ago? If so, just go to the contract and either end it and leave feedback, or just leave feedback if the freelancer ended the contract.

If the contract ended more than two weeks ago it is too late, you can no longer leave feedback.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 11

You rate them when you close the contract. Then you are asked some questions that count against their job success score (JSS).

If money was exchanged, public rating will show on their profile no later than 14 days after. Some questions trigger a private rating that will not show on the profile but that weights against the JSS.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 11

Regardless of the rating issue, at least you learned that you should not pay upfront payments to freelancers on Upwork.

Upwork has a robust escrow system which protects the interests of the client while also ensuring the freelancer that funds are available.

Receive the work. Review the work. Then release payment. Fund escrow fully. Don't pay upfront.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 11

Hi Calin,

I checked and wasn't able to identify the contract and user you mentioned. Please pm me the related message room or any other relevant details, so I can look into this for you.

Stefan V Member Since: Jul 10, 2017
6 of 11

Hi Vladimir

Is there any way to rate a freelancer after those 2 weeks?
It seems that I've missed the message from upwork to rate the work.

Thank you and best regards, 

Stefan

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 11

Hi Stefan,

The freelancer can enable you to change feedback even if 14 days have passed since it was closed and you'll be able to leave your feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
8 of 11

re: "Is there any way to rate a freelancer after those 2 weeks?
It seems that I've missed the message from upwork to rate the work."

A client may communicate directly with a freelancer and ask the freelancer to use the freelancer-side button that allows a rating to be changed. This button may only be used once on a contract.

So if a contract was closed by the freelancer, and two weeks has passed, then your opportunity to provide feedback/rating for the contract IS OVER.

But a freelancer may give you a chance to change the feedback, which in your case would mean giving you a chance to add actual feedback/star ratings for the first time.

In the graphic below, notice the "Enable client to change feedback" link/button. That's what the freelancer would click to make this happen.

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 11.49.14 AM.png

Community Guru
9 of 11

Now... keep in mind that this is totally up to the freelancer to decide whether or not to do this.

If the freelancer felt that the client's experience was positive, the freelancer would be wise to allow the client to add feedback.

If the freelancer thinks that the client might rake the freelancer over the coals... then the freelancer may well decide to ignore a request to open up this opportunity.

Stefan V Member Since: Jul 10, 2017
10 of 11

Thank you for all your Feedback.

Well then, since the freelancer did not do a terrific job, I guess he doesn't want to have his rating changed. Better no feedback than bad one Man Surprised

Sad to hear that there is no way to submit Feedback - Upwork must have an interest on ratings & transparency.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS