🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: How is it even possible to Hire a freelan...
Page options
405b2247
Community Member

How is it even possible to Hire a freelancer that hasn't accepted your invite to a job post?

I posted a job and haven't received any proposals from freelancers with hourly rates that match. I have independently searched and found a few folks I'd ike to hire. I have sent an invite out and would like to hire them but how do I hire them if they haven't accepted my invte?

5 REPLIES 5
a_lipsey
Community Member

You can't hire anyone who doesn't accept your invite. No one is forced to take a job here. You can send someone an invitation to hire or to interview, but you cannot force them to take it. If no one is responding it's because the job is either not well written or not paying enough. Perhaps consider reposting the job with either a placeholder budget to see what kind of offers you get or consider revising your budget to match what it really costs. You could also respond to some of the freelancers who responded with a bid that was too high and see if they'd be willing to work at the rate you offer. Occasionally it's not too far out of their range that they won't consider it. Bids are often negotiable, and it doesn't hurt to ask. Just don't automatically expect any freelancer to just say yes. 

Hi Amanda, thank you that's helpful. I've just signed up for Upwork and have previously used it as a freelancer. But as a client from the other end the process is a bit less clear.

The freelancer I'm referring to shows up in my unanswered invites section. I found it confusing from a UX perspective for there to be an option to "Hire Freelancer" at this stage and what that would mean when he hasn't responded or accepted the project. Does that make sense?

Amir N wrote:

Hi Amanda, thank you that's helpful. I've just signed up for Upwork and have previously used it as a freelancer. But as a client from the other end the process is a bit less clear.

The freelancer I'm referring to shows up in my unanswered invites section. I found it confusing from a UX perspective for there to be an option to "Hire Freelancer" at this stage and what that would mean when he hasn't responded or accepted the project. Does that make sense?

Thank you for clarifying! I understand what you are asking. So you can send a direct offer to a freelancer. I'm not really sure why anyone would do this, as I would always want to interview someone first, but you can skip the interview phase (when you send the invitation to interview) and just send a direct offer. I think this option is there more for people with existing relationships with freelancers and they go back and want to send a new contract. But if you have someone that the price is right and you like the work, you can send a direct offer to them. They may or may not accept. Best practice is to do the interview first. I once sent an invite to a freelancer and just said I'd like to start a dialogue, I didn't need a proposal. And so we went straight into an interview because I already knew I liked their work. 

All you can do is try to communicate. But yes, that Hire Freelancer button is to send a contract over. You can send it without interviewing, but I would not recommend it. There was another person here who mistakenly used it and the freelancer started charging them immediately, without discussing the work first. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi Amanda, first off really appreciate your quick (and thorough) responses. I am trying to get this business of the ground and often writing into community forums is a responseless abyss. 🙂

That certainly helps. I don't see a button or anything to "Invite to Interview" so I assume that is just done through messaging and scheduling manually. I was wondering if there was a process around that and your explanation for the Hire Freelancer use case makes total sense for ongoing projects. Thanks again!!

prestonhunter
Community Member

Amir: you are welcome to tell us more about your job posting.

What kind of freelancer are you trying to hire? What job niche? What pay level?

Did you use an hourly or fixed-price job posting?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths