🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: How much should I pay for this project?
Page options
47364dfd
Community Member

How much should I pay for this project?

Can somebody tell me how much it would approximately cost to complete make this program for me?

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01df4ec1df5242ecdb

I didn't know how much it would cost so I just put in a high budget of $1,000. Most proposals came in around that price. Do you think I should actually pay that much or is everybody proposing a high amount because it is near my budget? 

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Nathan:

Everybody is bidding around $1000 because that is what you put for the budget, not because that is how much the project should cost.

Unfortunately what you have posted in your job posting is an idea, not a description of a specific task.

$1000 is indeed a reasonable amount of money to pay for implementing such an idea. Another reasonable figure would be $10,000. Or $100.

It really depends on the details.

You might get better results if you hired various freelancers (such as between 5 to 10) to just talk to about this idea first, before you actually decide on the details.

if you talk to freelancers who have expertise in this area - talking to them for between 20 to 40 minutes - you would pay relatively little money, and you would come away with a broader perspective. You could spend some of that time asking freelancers specifically how much time and/or money it would take implement various aspects of your idea.

I thought so. Do you have any idea what I should put for a budget if I repost it? I wish there was a way to post it without a budget

Try posting the same description of your idea, but as an hourly contract that specifically states you want to talk to people about the concept in order to further refine your project description. You can pay freelancers their hourly rate for a small amount of their time.

I looked at your job description AND your attached PDF file.

I would not recommend that you hire anybody to implement this project using a single fixed-price milestone. I believe that would be a recipe for disaster and would not produce the results you are looking for.

A project of this scope should be worked on using hourly contracts with multiple different freelancers, or fixed-price contracts for very specific, discrete tasks. Such tasks might be for a part of the project, and pay $50 to $100 each.

You really want to recieve work that your project manager can test, verify, and store the source code and related files for on your own server, bit by bit, in a modular fashion. You want to be able to test and verify each new component.

Continue working with the freelancers who provide you with great value: You can see that the pieces they deliver work. They are bringing you results in a timely manner for a good price. Stop working with any of the freelancers who don't produce results. Assign their tasks to the more productive members of the team and stop working with the poor performers.

To add onto what Preston says above,and what HE usually recommends is once you hire a freelancer to implement your idea, it might be best to also hire a project manager to supervise the job. They can make sure the work is being done, that the work is being done correctly and to make sure work is delivered in a timely manner. 

And only pay when you receive the work so you can test it out. Do not pay before receiving work that comply to the specifications of the milestones. 

askwhyweb
Community Member

Hi Nathan,

My suggestion is to choose from freelancers who were able to provide you following breakdowns

- Time required to resolve the problem.

- Team they are going to engage on the problem (it its a team)

- Approach to its solution.

Based on three above, you can calculate the right figure for your project and can negotiate accordingly with the right candidate / company to initate your project on upwork.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths