🐈
» Forums » Clients » How much to pay for translation?
Page options
9a664e00
Community Member

How much to pay for translation?

I am about to post my first translation job. I have a 300-word introduction to my website that I would like in a number of languages, beginning with Japanese. The text is written at a college reading level and the topic is fine art.

How much should I expect to pay for a decent job?

I have no way to know if the translation is done well, other than hiring someone else to check it. Any guidance on price and other considerations will be appreciated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@A K N wrote:

I have no way to know if the translation is done well, other than hiring someone else to check it. Any guidance on price and other considerations will be appreciated.

This page gives a good idea.

Hiring someone else to check is also wise, as is going with someone who has great reviews and a good JSS and a decent history.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

@A K N wrote:

This page gives a good idea.

Hiring someone else to check is also wise, as is going with someone who has great reviews and a good JSS and a decent history.

That is a very good bench mark.  Remember you will get what you pay

9a664e00
Community Member

Thank you Petra. Of the various replies, you are the one who provided an answer rather than just restating parts of my question! I've found there are many well-educated, bilingual visual artists both in their native countires and in the US. Many have already agreed to work with me on a reciprocol basis.

resultsassoc
Community Member

Your translator will need three qualifications

Native fluency in Japanese. Not "learned it in school."

Significant fluency in fine art. Not all Japanese translators have that. Very few would be my guess.

Ability to write at the college level. Find smeone with at least a Bachelor's Degree.

You're seeking a black swan; there aren't a lot. Pay top rate, whatever that is.

A K N:

If you are going to be doing more than one or two translations, then you will save money in the long run if you hire multiple different translators.

I suggest hiring 5. To do the same work.

Pay them the rate that they ask.

Then have your checker/proofreader evaluate the work that they do.

Continue working only with the one or two translators who provide you with the best quality work and best value for your money.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@A K N wrote:

I am about to post my first translation job. I have a 300-word introduction to my website that I would like in a number of languages, beginning with Japanese. The text is written at a college reading level and the topic is fine art.

I definitely recommend that you use one person for translation, and a different freelancer for proofreading. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths