Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Bridge the Communications gap?

44bbea93
Adam S Member Since: Mar 28, 2016
1 of 7

Hi, 

So I have a challenge, I have previously hired a Freelancer for a website needing to be coded. Design was done, Coder was from the same agency, hired on a different site that only focuses on design. So the coding went "outside" the sites scope. 

Which led me to upwork. 

The problem I have, is I want to get Freelancers to code this site, but they ask technical questions to which I do not know the answers. 

Multiple applicants ask the same questions in different ways, and add to that - many of them speak english as a second language and want to skype. I find the hardest part about hiring is being able to answer some of the questions, and they seme unable or unwilling to teach me, as they are just trying to get the job before investing too much time. 

I have set up a SECOND job, asking for a freelancer that I can pay to advise me, who "Gets the job" based on willingness to advise me, on dealing with the other freelancer and I am wondering at what point is it just better to walk into some development firm locally and make them do it. 

Is hiring freelancers for me?? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

re: "The problem I have, is I want to get Freelancers to code this site, but they ask technical questions to which I do not know the answers."

Then you are working with the wrong people.

There are other freelancers who will do an even better job of coding the website, who will only communicate with you in ways that are comfortable, make sense, and respect your time and abilities.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 7

I like the idea of hiring someone to advise you. A project manager is probably best for this. Hiring someone's competition to judge the competition is awkward, but a project manager should be able to lead you in the right direction by getting your specs and then finding a coder for you. 

If you're trying to get someone to add onto what you've already somewhat built, I can understand the technical questions and yeah, nobody will get too detailed with you if it takes too much time.

It sounds like you need a consultant.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
4 of 7

Adam, I totally get where you are coming from!  I find myself asking pals who code for insight more often than not. 

Contingent on how large the site in question is; if you are dealing with multiple functions, etc.  a project manager makes sense.

If the site is not that involved you might want to hire a new coder and then have a 3 way Skype discussion between you,  the site designer and the new coder.  If you are comfortable with the designer - ask him/her to review the applicants with you. Ultimately they will have to work somewhat together ...

The other thought is to ask your designer for a coder referral. Referrals are not always from the same source where you found the designer.

44bbea93
5 of 7

The designers coder referral was the one that I messed around with for 5 months and got left with a bunch of raw materials but nothing really "Done"... nto sure if its easier for new designer to finish previous guys work or start fresh as I am sure ther is more than one way to skin a cat. 

Of course most resort to bus chucking the previous coder to get credibility. 

thanks for so many replies from everyone. Smiley Happy 

44bbea93
6 of 7

Yes, I am running the ad to get that consultant type person. 

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
7 of 7

Adam, gut instinct says start fresh.   You own the completed design now and it won't hurt to have a second set of eyes review it and work in tandem with the coder you find based on a consult.  In fact, the consultant might have suggestions for both and with your budget paramters in mind.

It is always safer, wiser and more cost efficient to have all parties involved as this helps avoid snafus down the road.

Good luck!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS