cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Fund A Bonus After Completing a Project?

Grace E Member Since: May 19, 2017
1 of 11

Hi,

I have just had a success project complete by a freelancer I hired. I ended the contract for USD 30, which he was paid for, and added a bonus of USD10. The contract says that he has been paid with the total contract price and the bonus.

When I check my transaction history, it says I have a balance of USD10, and the text is in red. I want to fund this bonus or pay this using my Paypal account or my funds available in my account as a freelancer. Are those ways possible? Either way, I want to know how to be able to fund this missing USD10. 

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Grace Eriksson

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 11

Hi Grace,

You can issue a bonus payment to your freelancer following this steps.

Go to Jobs > at the bottom under Contracts go to Completed/Ended > find the freelancer you want to pay and on the right side next to the green button Rehire there is three dots > here you will have a drop down menu with Messages and Give Bonus.

Untitled
Larry K Member Since: Nov 11, 2015
3 of 11

there is no bonus option as these instructions say under the 3 dots

The contract ended months ago.  All payments due were made.

How do I pay a bonus now?

Contract ID 16040090

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 11

Hi Larry,

Unfortunately, if the contract was closed over a year ago, you won't be able to issue a bonus. You can rehire a freelancer for a new contract and issue a payment though.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 11

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Larry,

Unfortunately, if the contract was closed over a year ago, you won't be able to issue a bonus. You can rehire a freelancer for a new contract and issue a payment though.

Valeria, is that true even if there have been ongoing payments during that time?

For example, if a client closes a contract, but then continues to make monthly "bonus" payments to the freelancer after the contract is closed, will that ability still disappear at the one-year mark, or is it after a year of inactivity?

6 of 11

Bonus feature disappears a year after the contract was closed, Tiffany, even if there were bonus payments made during this year.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
7 of 11

No Goran .....

Grace, it means that you have already issued the bonus payment for the $ 10, but your payment method has not been charged yet.

Upwork do charging runs, so it usually takes a few hours between the time you actioned the bonus payment on the site, and your payment method gets charged for that payment.

That is why it is showing the $ 10 in red. It has not been charged yet.

Don't worry about it, it will charge in the next few hours and then it will show as a 0 balance again.

Do NOT issue another bonus payment, as you will then have paid it twice and will be charged 2 x $ 10....

You need to do absolutely nothing, it will resolve itself.

8 of 11

Thank you, it shed light on my worries! I wanted the bonus to come through because the freelancer did such a great job in completing the task I assigned to him.

Have a continued great day!

9 of 11

Grace,

Sorry about the confusion. It looks like the bonus payment you made to the freelancer has already gone through. You should be all set. 

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
10 of 11

Thank you, I was able to see it now Smiley Very Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS