cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Respond to Clients with UNVERIFIED PAYMENT METHODS?

dillon-young
Dillon Y Member Since: Jul 10, 2016
1 of 8

Since lately, I've been receiving tons of invitations, but the clients do not have a VERIFIED PAYMENT METHOD.

Some of them are actually new to UW. Would you just go straight ahead and politely say ask them to get it sorted out before even discussing the project at hand any at all?

Or would you POSSIBLY waste your time discussing the project while being uncertain that they're even serious clients?

Give me your thoughts! 

Thanks in advance.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2 of 8

I never worry about whether or not the client's payment method is verified until we are ready to create a contract. As I understand it, verifying their payment method is a matter of the client entering their credit card (or whatever method they plan to use) and UW testing it. Most clients exploring the platform for the first time do not want to bother doing that until they are confident they are going to hire a freelancer. 

More useful to me is checking what other projects they have posted (if any). If there are any clues in their post about who they are, I may use Google and LinkedIn to see what I can suss out, depending on how juicy the opportunity looks and how much time I want to spend looking into it. 

dillon-young
3 of 8

I agree. But, what if it's a new client who sent you an invitation? How would you enforce that you don't wish to discuss the project without their profile having a VPM? (without coming off too insensitive or harsh)

dillon-young
4 of 8

I know that there are several factors to consider like the workload, budget, etc., but would you be willing to discuss the project without being sure that the client is serious about working together?

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
5 of 8

@Dillon Y wrote:

I know that there are several factors to consider like the workload, budget, etc., but would you be willing to discuss the project without being sure that the client is serious about working together?

I do try not to waste time with duds. But I don't use payment verification as a screening criteria. I won't start work without a funded contract, but four of my best clients so far (biggest projects and/or repeat clients) hired me their first time trying UW. I have no idea whether each one's payment method was verified at the time we initially made contact.

First-time clients are shopping. If I'm shopping online (for something I can't find on Amazon), I don't spend the time to set up my payment method at a website until I have the item I want in my shopping cart and I'm ready to check out. Same thing IMO.

There are other more things to watch for and evaluate, that give you a sense of whether a client is a good prospect for you, i.e worth your time to cultivate. Some of those things vary depending on your professional focus. Most are difficult to quantify exactly, and confidence and acumen increase with experience. I've been an independent contractor for 20 years and have learned a few things in my 14 months on UW that now seem very fundamental, but just weren't on my radar until I got into this virtual marketplace.

dillon-young
6 of 8

That makes perfect sense. Plus,  some people are a bit hesitant when it comes on to putting their information online. 

Putting myself in the shoes of a newcomer, I'd have to find a match first, then take it from there.

Thanks for your response. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 8

Absolutely not. No reason to think you'll be wasting your time, especially if the client has gone to the trouble of inviting you. Why would a client want to verify banking information online without knowing whether he/she was going to hire someone?

About half of my clients are unverified when I'm hired. Most verify on their own as soon as they choose a freelancer, but if they don't, just send a message letting them know that you'll start work as soon as they're able to verify.

dillon-young
8 of 8

Makes perfect sense!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS