cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to accept BIDS for many small programming tasks?

Highlighted
blarvinius B Member Since: Jan 30, 2017
1 of 12

Hi, can someone reccomend the best way to do this?

Basically, I would like it to run like a revere auction. Or, just like any normal agency releasing RFPs and seeking bids.

I believe I can make a lot of small tasks into seperate RFPs, specify each very carefully, and seek low bids on each individual component.

But does Upwork facilitate that? It does not seem to. in order to make it work

1.) The job posting should be posted at $0.

2.) Freelancers should be able to see what other freelancers have bid for the job.

(Yes, I see there could be a potential for abuse.... Freelencers could post loer offers that they do not intend to honor, or maybe they have not read the spec.. Maybe this could be avoided by only allowing the Poster's invited Freelancers to bid...)

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 12

@blarvinius B wrote:

1.) The job posting should be posted at $0.

2.) Freelancers should be able to see what other freelancers have bid for the job. 

1) fixed price jobs must have budget of $5 minimum.

2) this was once a feature of the site but removed long ago, and hundreds of freelancers have literally asked for it to be reinstated to no avail. Instead, for a $10 monthly plus membership, freelancers can only see a range of bids consisting of the highest, lowest, and average bids for the job.

3 of 12

It seems that you are asking the community about possible means to communicate your suggestions as regards bids for specific job posts.  In particular, you mentiontioned programming tasks in your title.  However, I got confused as to why freelancers would lower their bids for jobs that they do not intend to honor.  What do you mean by that, Blarvinius?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 12

re: "I believe I can make a lot of small tasks into seperate RFPs, specify each very carefully, and seek low bids on each individual component."

You can already do this.

There is absolutely no limitation on your ability to do this.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
5 of 12

@blarvinius B wrote:

I believe I can make a lot of small tasks into seperate RFPs, specify each very carefully, and seek low bids on each individual component.

But does Upwork facilitate that? It does not seem to.

Probably not. I don't believe it's Upwork's goal to facilitate seeking low bids. I think that Upwork is structured with an eye toward connecting clients with highly qualified freelancers. Since Upwork makes its money by collecting a percentage of the payment to the freelancer, creating a system geared toward encouraging a race to the bottom in bidding would be self-defeating.

6 of 12

Yes. I see your point!

My trouble really is probably just that I dont know how to value/price this kind of work (nor do I know how to do it myself very well) Thats why Im outsoucring it...

Its hard to know if I have offered too much money...

I guess I will learn!

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 12

Reverse auction? Like having  desperate people fighting for near to free work?

Lol :-)

You're on the wrong place bud.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
8 of 12
Post a job and state in the description that you plan to hire the freelancer with the lowest bid. I don't think this sounds like a productive plan for getting usable work done in a timely manner, but there's nothing to stop you from doing this.
9 of 12

Yeah, I get your drift.

Just trying to figure out how to price jobs and get a good deal... its outsourced because its not my area of expertise. And also, with the global reach, its hard to say what a good price is...

Community Guru
10 of 12

re: "Its hard to know if I have offered too much money..."

Experienced clients are more likely to be concerned about offering too little.

My hourly rates are higher than average. Many clients hire me because they want to save money. They believe that by hiring a more expensive, more experienced freelancer, they will save money on the project.

They are correct.

I can do the project in 2 hours. A cut rate freelancer needs 6 hours to do the project. And she didn't do it right. So the client needs to hire someone else to fix it. And the results are poor compared to the competition, who hired me.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS