🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to add a budget limit on a time based pro...
Page options
52629b95
Community Member

How to add a budget limit on a time based project (payed by the hour)?

Just as the title says - I have a project where a freelancer is working on an hourly basis. I want to add a limit on the budget, so when that limit is reached I can discuss the future steps with the freelancer. The project already started and everything is going as planned.

How can I do that - it seems to me I can only limit the budget for projects with a fixed price.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "That is a good way to limit the budget from week to week. Is there also a possibility to limit the budget for the whole project - regardless of the hours worked within a week?"

No.

Sorry.

re: "Or do I just have to have an eye on the budget already spent at all times?"

That is correct.

And of course: Always remember that an hourly contract pays freelancers for the hours that they work, and not for a specific deliverable.

Hourly contracts are best for clients who want flexibility and want to ensure the highest-possible quality for their projects. Fixed-price contracts are used when client want to know a specific cost for that they will need to pay for a specific task.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Julia:
Good news:

This is very easy to do!

When you create an hourly contract, you can specify the maximum number of hours per week that a freelancer may work. You may specify ANY number of hours, or have no limit at all.

You can even specify just 1 hour per week.

Or zero hours per week.

You can CHANGE this setting at any time.

You can also PAUSE an hourly contract at any time, completely blocking the freelancer from logging any time.

You can pause and unpause a contract as oftten as you want.

Thanks Preston!

That is a good way to limit the budget from week to week. Is there also a possibility to limit the budget for the whole project - regardless of the hours worked within a week? Let's assume the freelancer works 20 hours in the first and 60 hours in the second week and maybe 15 in the last - just as he/she has time. Is there a way to not limit the hours per week but the total hours or the budget (which is of course tied to the hours).

Or do I just have to have an eye on the budget already spent at all times?

Thanks!

re: "That is a good way to limit the budget from week to week. Is there also a possibility to limit the budget for the whole project - regardless of the hours worked within a week?"

No.

Sorry.

re: "Or do I just have to have an eye on the budget already spent at all times?"

That is correct.

And of course: Always remember that an hourly contract pays freelancers for the hours that they work, and not for a specific deliverable.

Hourly contracts are best for clients who want flexibility and want to ensure the highest-possible quality for their projects. Fixed-price contracts are used when client want to know a specific cost for that they will need to pay for a specific task.

Ok, thanks. So I will keep an eye on this.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths