🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to add milestones to a fixed price projec...
Page options
6ba45f49
Community Member

How to add milestones to a fixed price project without adding to total budget

hi, 

I originally hired someone for a $400 fixed price project on March 8, 2022. Now the freelancer is requesting milestones. I don't have a problem with that, but when I try to set them up it adds money to the budget. Is there a way to do this?

Also, the freelancer says it won't allow him to do it on his end, and he's asking that I cancel the project and send him a new one. But when you google it, upwork says that the freelancer has to approve the cancelation or you might not get a refund. I fear if i cancel, the freelancer might just take the moeny and run.

thanks,

Craig

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

The freelancer can't "take the money and run" because the freelancer doesn't HAVE the money, it's in escrow. If they disputed the return of the escrow funds, you could show that no work was done or submitted.

Or you can ask the freelancer to end the current contract, that way the money is sent back to you automatically with no "approval" being required.

I am puzzled why the freelancer wants to cut such a small contract down even further almost a month after the contract started?

Alternatively, you could carry on with the existing contract and simply release the escrow money in parts.

Say you decided to go for 4 milestones of $400 each, your freelancer can submit the first part and edit the amount requested to $100. You approve this and then create a new milestone, which will be funded from the escrow funds and so on. It's a bit of a fuss, but avoids the whole "close contract, get a refund, create new contract" stuff.

PradeepH

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your message. You can continue with the same contract and make a partial payment on the current milestone once the freelancer has completed the assigned job for the first milestone. Later, you can create additional milestones by using the 'Add milestones' button on the same contract page. The remaining balance from escrow can be used to fund your additional milestones. Check out this help page for more information.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths