cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cancel contract without leaving feedback?

nicolealpha
Nicole d Member Since: Jul 28, 2017
1 of 8

I'm trying to cancel a contract because my job requirements changed and the freelancer is not able to fit the new requirements. Freelancer did not get a chance to do much work with me so I am unable to provide a fair review. However, the system is forcing me to leave feedback. How do I cancel the contract without having to leave feedback?

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 8

Nicole, there are 2 ways whereby you wouldn't need to leave feeback:

1. don't close the contract
  2. let the freelancer close the contract

Neither will benefit the freelancer, however, so if you want to be 'fair', since it is not the freelancer's responsibility that your requirements have changed, why not leave the freelancer good feedback, then perhaps explain in your written feedback that the contract was closed prematurely because your requirements changed, so perhaps other clients reading it would not assume you're recommending the freelancer?

Igor R Member Since: Dec 31, 2017
3 of 8

This is a HUGE FLAW in Upwork design that creates tons of FAKE FEEDBACKS.

This is how it works for me every time I end a contract as a client, especially if the contractor didn't do a good job:

1. I close my contract to prevent him/her from logging more time and charging me more money
2. Upowrk FORCES me to leave a feedback

3. I TRY to leave an HONEST feedback

4. The contractors starts harassing me, demanding that I change the feedback and give him/her 5 stars, allthough the he/she doesn't deserve it.

5. He/she keeps harassing me and threatening to give me a bad feedback in return and at some point I simply give up and update my feedback to FAKE 5 STARS, just to be left alone.

I undesrtand that Upwork BENEFITS from those fake feedbacks, because the more people get hired, the more money they make, but the clients should understand that the system is build to ENCOURAGE FAKE FEEDBACKS, and that's very important.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
4 of 8

Igor, please READ Nicole's post.  She wrote the job requirements changed; not that the freelancer did a poor job.

Nicole, John offered the correct solution to your question.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 8

Igor,

There is NO way a freelancer can see your private feedback. Ever. Although they CAN see your public feedback, they can only do so AFTER leaving you feedback . 

Before leaving you feedback, the only way a freelancer would know what his public feedback is, is if you tell them. If someone tries to manipulate you, report them to CS and block them.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 8

Igor wrote, "5. He/she keeps harassing me and threatening to give me a bad feedback in return and at some point I simply give up and update my feedback to FAKE 5 STARS, just to be left alone."

Once you have left feedback for a freelancer, the only way the freelancer can retaliate and lower your feedback is if you give the freelancer permission to change his feedback, so instead all you should do is contact CS and tell them the freelancer is harassing you, and CS will eventually punish the freelancer, if he does not stop harassment, perhaps by suspending him.

Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
7 of 8

Igor, Ignor them.

felipeharo
Community Leader
Felipe H Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
8 of 8

If someone asks you to change to 5 stars, you should change to 1 star

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS