🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to change the payment amount after puttin...
Page options
8712ff61
Community Member

How to change the payment amount after putting money in escrow.

I placed a rather random amount in escrow prior to starting my freelancer on a project. I did not set milestones. He has completed the first piece of work, and I want to pay the amount per project that we agreed upon, but the only option is to pay the full escrow amount.

Can someone please tell me how to pay a different amount?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

When you release an escrow payment, you may edit the amount to literally any amount. Even zero. Or pay triple. It is up to you.

If you want to pay less than the full amount, then the Upwork system sends a button to the freelancer asking him to approve the lower amount.

Just talk to the freelancer beforehand, so he knows what to expect, and you'll be fine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

When you release an escrow payment, you may edit the amount to literally any amount. Even zero. Or pay triple. It is up to you.

If you want to pay less than the full amount, then the Upwork system sends a button to the freelancer asking him to approve the lower amount.

Just talk to the freelancer beforehand, so he knows what to expect, and you'll be fine.

Thank you for the response! I didn't see how to do it. The only option was "Approve and pay." Since the app says the requested amount matches the escrow amount, it appeared to me that I would be approving and paying the full amount in escrow.

However, when I clicked the button, the editing option you mentioned appeared!

Thanks again.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm glad to know that Preston was able to help you!

You may also read up on this help article to know how you can review a milestone and release payment to your freelancer/s.

Since you are new, you may want to read up on the Client section of the resources we have compiled here for more information on how you can get started on Upwork. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out here in the Community.

~ Avery
Upwork
8712ff61
Community Member

Thank you, Avery. I appreciate the additional information. I have used Upwork quite a bit in the past (different account), but it's good to get a refresher. Thanks again.

I only see a "Pay" button when I look at my contracts. When I click on "Pay," I am redirected to another page that also only has a "Pay" option. I do not see where I can edit the amount I pay the freelancer.

I was going to pay the freelancer $45 (and had put $45 in escrow), but they only completed a portion of the tasks, so I would liek to pay them $30.

585f6d12
Community Member

1. Go to My Jobs to locate the contract
  2. Choose the (...) options menu and select End contract
  3. Choose Pay nothing and request a refund or Pay another amount when ending the contract
Latest Articles
Learning Paths