cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to choose a good hiring/people manager?

94d7ced8
Micah Z Member Since: Aug 12, 2015
1 of 6

As a software engineer outsourcing for web development, I have historically been my own hiring/people manager.  However, my project has been growing lately and I am now interested in finding someone to help me manage the hiring and people.

The problem is that I have no idea how to pick a good value hiring/people manager, nor do I know how to identify a bad one after the fact.  As an employee, I know how to identify a good/bad manager, but this will be the first time that I am on the other side of that.  As an employee in the past I have seen some bad managers but I honestly don't know how I would have identified them from the other side.

Does anyone have any tips on how to identify a good hiring manager?  What about a good people manager?

The types of things I am looking for in a manager at this phase of my company is an all-in-one manager who will:

1. Create job descriptions, fliter candidates, interview candidates and ultimately choose (or help me choose) final hires.

2. Fire candidates that are not performing up to expectations, or who are simply being out-performed by other hires.

3. Figure out ways to usefully hire multiple freelancers for the same job as a form of A/B testing to find the best freelancers.

4. When multiple freelancers are working together on a project, deal with the inter-personal issues that inevitably arise between co-workers.

5. Ensure that all freelancers are happy, and find out what will make them happy.  I'm looking to cultivate freelancers similarly to how companies cultivate employees and build a long-term relationship with the good ones.  This means ensuring that everyone is working on things that interest them and with people that they get along with.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 6

Finding a person that fits all the immediate qualifications won't be too difficult. However, finding the soft skills is a challenge.

Honestly, I'd suggest you hire someone and get to know them before you hand off these tasks. Having a hiring manager is a pretty big "trust" job; you want to make sure you feel completely comfortable with them, and with letting them take the reins.

There are a lot of great people on the platform with a lot of off-platform, brick and mortar experience. That would be who I'd look for initially.  Eventually, you'll find someone you click with Smiley Happy

I do this exact work for my long-term clients but it was something we eased into.

94d7ced8
Micah Z Member Since: Aug 12, 2015
3 of 6

@Christy A wrote:

I'd suggest you hire someone and get to know them before you hand off these tasks.

What sort of work would I hire them for initially?

I'm a believer of the Peter Principle, and would like to avoid that type of hiring.  In my experience it is far better to hire managers that are good at being managers and also want to be managers, rather than hiring engineers and then making them into managers.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
4 of 6

Hi Micah:

Actually, I think we're on the same page here.

I do think you should hire for the position you envision. My only suggestion was to take a bit of time (a week or so) to get to know your freelancer before handing them the keys to the hiring responsibilities. You could use this time to bring them up to speed on what you do, what your projects typically entail, expectations, etc. 

Ultimately, I think this strategy will serve you well. It will also provide the freelancer the opportunity to learn more about you and what is important to you.  You want this person to be your representative and it's vital that they understand exactly what that means.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 6

And for the love of all that is holy don't hire a scrum master. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
6 of 6

Put the requirements you just listed in a job posting and make it clear you will be doing "VOICE INTERVIEWS".

This will go a long way in preventing a lot of posers from applying.

The rest is up to you in the interview process ... as a "software engineer" you should be able to ask the appropriate questions of someone that will lead "your project".

(Are you going to hire a "web development" "manager" without "some" knowledge of a particular (web) platform?)

And I would avoid anyone that cannot create a WEEKLY TASK AND DELIVERABLES SCHEDULE and keep to it.

Just remember, if a week goes by without something material to show for it, your project is OUT OF CONTROL.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS