🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: How to contact Upwork customer service su...
Page options
e9c7fdb3
Community Member

How to contact Upwork customer service support?

thanks guys

179 REPLIES 179

Hi Michael,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. Our team will investigate further why you were charged for our Plus plan, and one of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible with more information. You can access your tickets on this Link. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
f1d16bbe
Community Member

How to contact?

Hi Alex,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

**Update -- called support and was taken care of**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad,

Regardless of the type of transaction (hourly payment, fixed-price, recurring weekly payment, bonus, etc.,) when it’s refunded, the service fee for it is refunded as well. I checked the refund status for you and can confirm that your refund was successful on our end. You can check this in your Transactions. After the refund is initiated, it typically takes 2 to 5 business days for the money to be refunded back to your credit card. 

Than you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

A client is requesting a refund on the work I did for the project. How do I contact customer service to dispute this? What is a phone number I can contact to discuss the issues with Upwork. The client is also using a fake, alias account so it should be reported as well.

re: "What is a phone number I can contact to discuss the issues with Upwork?"

It is not Upwork's intention that you call them on the phone.

re: "A client is requesting a refund on the work I did for the project. How do I contact customer service to dispute this?"

Normally a freelancer does NOT need to contact Upwork Customer Support if a client asks for a refund.

If the client is sending you an informal message asking for a refund, you can politely decline to give them a refund.

If the client uses the client-side interface to close a fixed-price contract while changing the amount of escrow money to be released to zero (or less than the amount in escrow), then this will cause an automated request to be sent to you asking you to decline or accept the refund request. You should be able to click a button to decline the refund request.

Do you have an hourly or fixed-price contract?

Is the contract still open, or closed?

How much money is the client asking for?

Exactly what was the form of this refund request?

Thank you for your reply! I have an hourly contract. How do I decline the refund request? The contract is now closed. The client is asking for all of the money back that was paid to myself for this project. The refund was requested through the messaging function. I don't know how to reject the refund. Do I have to do anything to dispute it?

re: I have an hourly contract. How do I decline the refund request? The contract is now closed. The client is asking for all of the money back that was paid to myself for this project. The refund was requested through the messaging function. I don't know how to reject the refund. Do I have to do anything to dispute it?"

Leigh:
The client has sent you a message. That's all. As far as the Upwork software is concerned, the client could have said "I like fish."

The client has not actually initiated a process that causes ANYTHING to happen.

There is no button or "formal" way for you to decline this refund.

So... what should you do?

First of all, you need to understand that this client is unprofessional, unethical, and immoral. This contract is over. The client hired you to work, you did the work, and then the client is trying to get back the money you were paid. Does that sound right to YOU? I doubt that YOU would do that to somebody YOU hired.

It is good to have a proper perspective when you deal with a situation like this.

Also keep in mind that the contract is CLOSED. She already gave you feedback. So she can't give you "bad feedback" or anything.

But no matter what you do, you must communicate in a polite, professional manner.

Don't argue with the client.

You should also undestand that within the first 5 days after a work week has ended, a client can formally dispute time segments, and Upwork will reverse payment or not charge a client for ANY time segments that were recorded using manual time, or which have no memos, or which have screenshots that don't show the freelancer working on the project. So if any of this applies to your work, it is POSSIBLE for the client to dispute time and not pay you. Of course you won't mention to this to the client if she could use this technique against you.

After an hourly contract has closed, there is a period of time during which a client can request "mediation".

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours :

"Disputes must be filed by the Friday after the freelancer bills the hours. If you miss this window, you and your freelancer should work together to resolve any issues and discuss your freelancer submitting a refund. Still can’t resolve the issue and within 30 days of payment? Please contact customer support to learn about our mediation assistance."

This is pretty toothless. It basically means that Upwork will try to get the freelancer to talk to the client about a possible refund. If that happens, you (the freelancer) can politely listen to what the client has to say and then explain that after careful consideration you have decided not to issue a refund. Or you can offer a token refund or something, like 10%.

After the initial 5-day review period, and then the initial 30-day period during which a client can request mediation, it is even more unlikely that Upwork will do anything at all to help a client. But the client could theoretically violate Upwork ToS by doing a chargeback on their credit card. This would get the client kicked off Upwork. But it could cause you to lose your payment.

So no matter what, you want to be polite. You want to listen respectfully to a client. But as you can see, the more time that passes after time has been logged or after a contract has been closed, the less there is anything that a client can do to get money back from you, no matter how dishonest the client is.

What I recommend you do FIRST is ask the client why she is asking for a refund. She probably knows full well that she is simply trying to steal money from you. So she may be too embarassed to even answer.

I think you should ask her a question, and then report back here if she responds. Ask her:

"Carol: Thank you for your note. If I understand correctly, you are referring to a contract that has now been closed, and you are asking for money back from what you paid? Can you explain why?"

Thank you so much, Preston for your message! It really did help calm down my anxiety of the response I received from the work I did. I will send a note like you stated below and move on. Thank you for your help again!

So Preston, you are basically telling me they are handling my money and there is NO customer support if something goes wrong, I have to wait on someone to reply on a forum?? What a joke, you can't be serious. Smiley Very Happy I will miss a deadline because a freelancer can't accept my offer and there is no support, amazing, top notch service!!

re: "you are basically telling me they are handling my money and there is NO customer support if something goes wrong"

I am not telling you that.

There are actually MANY avenues for obtaining customer support from Upwork:

- phone

- email

- live chat

- Help Desk tickets

- social media, including active support through Facebook and Twitter

- support bot

- getting help from Upwork employees through the Community Forum

PLUS: the Community Forum is an excellent way to get your questions answered, by knowledgeable Upwork users (clients and freelancers) as well as Forum moderators (Upwork employees).

These options VARY with regards to how easy it is to access them, and with regards to how often they are available, and who they are available to. Availiabity varies depending on time of day, day of week, current volume, and who you are. Clients are given preference for support over freelancers, which is as it should be.

I have hired over 130 freelancers on Upwork.

As a practical matter: I don't contact Upwork Customer Support.

I know how the system works, and I know how to use the client-side toold effectively to achieve my goals.

I would much rather use the tools that I have at my fingertips rather than contacting Upwork Support. Maybe I'm just impatient.

And as a practical matter: The help and information that Upwork users can obtain here in the Community Forum is excellent. I honestly don't know of another company that has a community forum which exceeds the level of activity and helpfulness that one can find here.

salentin
Community Member

Hi,

I need to contact customer support. I got a new official in charge of my client and started with 20% Fees again.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Klaus, 

Are you referring to Contract ID 29241418?

~ Avery
Upwork
482656c5
Community Member

Hi,

I have problem with my freelancer and I raised a dispute against him but your agent is not responding it's almost been a week since any agent updated me on the issue. Please update me as soon as possible.

Thank you

Hi Ekram,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I can see that your concern has already been escalated to the appropriate team. Please allow the team some time to review and update you directly on the ticket to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
33cc52d5
Community Member

Hello. Iam a freelancer in Upwork and I think I am facing some scams and frauds. Please help me out of this.

Hi Mannan,

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi,

I am an upwork client, my freelancer is not responding to my messages from couple of weeks and I raised dispute against him but your agent is also not giving any update from a week. Please provide some help.

Thank you

Hi Ekram,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Fixed-Price contracts allow clients to review the submitted milestone before they release payment from escrow. Once the milestone is released, it's considered approved. Upwork team will provide mediation assistance in qualifying cases as outlined in the Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions.

I  have reached out to our team and shared your concern. They will reach out to you as soon as possible to start the informal mediation process via a support ticket.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi, I have raised a ticket on upwork but I haven't received any update from your agent, upwork agent is taking 3 to 4 days to reply to my messages. I request to solve this dispute because I a mediator and I need to delivery the project as early as possible. Please update me as soon as possible.

Hi Ekram,

I went ahead and followed up directly with the team handling your support ticket. You should expect a reply today.

~Andrea
Upwork
482656c5
Community Member

Thank you for your support.

re: "Hi, I have raised a ticket on upwork but I haven't received any update from your agent, upwork agent is taking 3 to 4 days to reply to my messages. I request to solve this dispute because I a mediator and I need to delivery the project as early as possible. Please update me as soon as possible."

You are doing this wrong.

Upwork Customer Support personnel can't guarantee delivery on time.

Upwork personnel aren't going to do the work for you.

I advise you to never ask Upwork personnel to help manage your freelancers.

Instead, use the tools you have at your fingertips.

If you have an important deadline, you need to hire multiple freelancers to do the work. Use hourly contracts. When you have received the work that you need, close all the contracts. You will only pay for actual time logged. Because these are hourly contracts, no money will be tied up in escrow.

If you are serious about getting this work done quickly, I can help you achieve your goal without communicating with or relying on Customer Support. I regularly hire freelancers on Upwork and achieve rapid results because I understand the effective techniques for doing so.

This is not me. I never posted this.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bruno, 

I'm not sure what you mean by your post. Is there anything we can help you with today?

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello,

Can someone from Upwork support reach out to me as I am facing issues with a customer? I have submitted my work, but they do not seem online or responsive to my messages and the milestone is not yet released.

Thanks!

Hi Maria,

Thank you for reaching out to us. For Fixed-Price contracts, kindly wait 14 days for the client to approve the project you have submitted. If no action is taken on their end, the funds will be automatically released to you. To learn more about Fixed-Price Protection, click here.

~ AJ
Upwork
alexanderjr
Community Member

Hi, I have a thread open for more than 12 hours and still didn't hear anything back from your support team. 

Hi Ahmad,

I checked your account and I can confirm that you have successfully submitted a support ticket to our team. They process tickets in the order that they are received. Please allow them time to review and update you on the same ticket to assist further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
bajpaisonia
Community Member

One of the client hired me and I did all his work and he sent me a bonus and immediately deleted his complete account, Kindly let me know if I will get my bonus which is showing in Pending status ? Or I will not get it now? Because I think when Upwork will hold the payment for 5 days to review and will try to confirm it with client they will not be able to contact my client as he has deleted his profile so I will be left with nothing? I am trying to talk to Upwork Support team regarding this issue but I am unable to chat or email or call their support directly to fix this issue, Please help me if anyone can.

Hi Sonia,

Pending payments should become available for you to withdraw on the date specified in your Transaction History, which you can see here

~ Joanne
Upwork
b7ccca86
Community Member

Hi, 

I was unable to find a way to reach out to the customer service, so I hope that I can get some support here: I need the contract signed between our account and Upwork for administrative purposes. I did not settle the account, so I don't have it. Can you please send it over to me?

Thank you,

Agnès

Hi Agnes,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

If you need to contact support moving forward:

1. Go to the Help Center.
  2. Select “Get Support” at the bottom of your screen.
  3. Type a question or topic and select "Send". The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  4. If we don't find the information you need after a few tries, you’ll see an option under the article selections to "Contact Support."
  5. Select "Contact Support" and follow the options provided.

~ AJ
Upwork
0e375592
Community Member
andis-klavins
Community Member

Hi,

I made a support ticket yesterday about an issue regarding my company name in payment details, since it is in Cyrillic, and when I tried to write it, I got a "not allowed symbols" error. But in answer from support, I got an automatic message: "has been manually reviewed by our staff and did not meet the criteria for compliance." I understand then that it will not "meet the criteria" at a particular moment since it's impossible to write the original company name in an Account Owner field.

I guess no one looked at the problem since I explained everything with screenshots but got an answer that is kind of not related to the problem.

Hi Andis,

Thank you for your message. I see that you are already communicating with one of our team members via a support ticket. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
5de7e67a
Community Member

I also dont have an option to contact to customer support.
Please help us.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abdul, 

I am sorry you're experiencing issues contacting support. Is there anything we can help you with today?

Our customer support team is creating a personalized experience to better assist all Upwork platform users via the chatbot. The more you interact with the chatbot, the more custom responses you’ll receive.

A quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner in the Upwork Help. You will be asked what type of account you need help with and to describe your issue or questions. Please select the best option for your situation. If you’d like to speak to an agent, you can request that via the chatbot. If you have some general questions about using Upwork or are looking for advice, feel free to post here in the Community.

~ Avery
Upwork
spectralua
Community Member

A previous client contacted me with a complaint that he was blocked, support is not responding. Please contact him. You can find him with contract 31497879. Thanks.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths