cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deduct tax from payment

Rama S Member Since: May 7, 2016
1 of 13

Hello,

I hired a freelancer for my work and I am based out of India. The freelancer was also based out of India.

The due amount was deducted from account in full. However, my accountant came back to me and said this is not legal and I could face penalties for this. I am supposed to deduct 10% from the payment and pay it to the tax authorities here.

My question is: how do I set it up so that UpWork automatically debits 10% less from my account?

Thanks,

Rama 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 13

Hi Rama,

Clients are billed for the full amount agreed with the freelancer, on which a 10% service fee is applied. You need to speak with a local tax consultant regarding your country's tax laws.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 13

I'm sure your accountant means well. But unfortunately he doesn't know what he is talking about. When you talk to other accountants or tax professionals in your community they'll probably get a good laugh out of what your accountant said and they'll be able to explain his mistake to you better then we could here.

Raghav M Member Since: Nov 3, 2016
4 of 13

Hi it seems that I've been given the same advice - its called TDS in India (tax deduction at source) and doesn't look like it can be avoided, even for foreign freelancers working for Indian clients.

Can you please explain why you said the accountant didn't know what they were talking about?

Thanks

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 13

@Raghav M wrote:

Hi it seems that I've been given the same advice - its called TDS in India (tax deduction at source) and doesn't look like it can be avoided, even for foreign freelancers working for Indian clients.

Whatever taxes you as a client have to pay to your local government is your issue, and is not Upwork's problem or the freelancer's problem. You owe a tax, you pay it.

If that means it'll be cheaper for you to hire Indian freelancers, then do so.

Raghav M Member Since: Nov 3, 2016
6 of 13

Hi Rama,

We're facing a similar problem. How did you end up treating this TDS?

Thanks

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 13

Freelancers are not going to pay money to Indian clients, or any other clients.

On Upwork, freelancers get paid by clients. Freelancers do not pay clients to work.

Upwork is not going to ask that freelancers pay money to clients.

So there are three possible outcomes here:

1) Clients in India can work with their accountants and figure out how to use Upwork while also complying with local laws

or

2) Upwork can make arrangements so that these things are worked out behind the scenes.

or

3) Upwork can block India as a country with which it does business. Meaning that people living in India will no longer be able to be clients or freelancers on the site.

Soubhik C Member Since: Jun 6, 2015
8 of 13

You didn't even understand the question. Nowhere was it said that freelancer should pay money to client. Anyway.

Arpit J Member Since: Sep 19, 2015
9 of 13

Hi Soubhik,

I also have the same query. Did you get answer to it yet?

Archana M Member Since: Sep 22, 2017
10 of 13

Indian laws require to deduct tax in a contractor-contractee relationship, when a certain amount is passed. I am glad there is precedence to this and couple of fellow indians have asked same question. Were you able to figure it out?

I am only looking for help from people who have faced this and understand this.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS