🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to file a complaint against unresponsive ...
Page options
97ad4bfc
Community Member

How to file a complaint against unresponsive freelancer that has not done work or followed contract

Good morning,

My name is Jonathan MacMillan, and I hired a Google server architect (**Edited for Community Guidelines** on Upwork; goes by **Edited for Community Guidelines**) to code Google Docs, Slides, Classroom and Meet video integration into my mobile app. I have paid the freelancer in over 3 milestones already, in which he has shown me through Upwork video calls progress of the Google Docs integration. However, none of this shows in the Bitbucket code repository, and the freelancer has not been able to provide a demo APK for the app in full working condition for over a year, despite messages saying many of these sections of code are complete. I was hoping that Upwork would have a rather seemless complaint and refund process, however I have been having the most difficult time locating these. What should be done is a section above the freelancer messages that allows the client to file complaints or incident reports. I would like my case investigated (I have the full Bitbucket Repository to show that no progressive work other than beginning the Google Classroom API). 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Jonathan M wrote:

.I was hoping that Upwork would have a rather seemless complaint and refund process, however I have been having the most difficult time locating these

When did you fund (!) the last milestone?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Jonathan:

It is a simple matter to dispute a freelancer's request for the latest milestone payment to be released.

You can simply click the "Request Changes" button, and that blocks the freelancer from receiving that payment.

It is NOT Upworks intention that PREVIOUSLY RELEASED milestone payments be disputed. The intention of the escrow system is that you, as a client, review any work submitted and make sure it meets your needs BEFORE you release payment.

Within 30 days after the last payment was released to a freelancer, it is POSSIBLE to contact Upwork Customer Support to request dispute/mediation for already released payments. But doing so is not as simple as clicking the "Request Changes" button to block release of the current milestone escrow money.

With regards to what is worth your time and effort: My recommendation is to focus on your project. Put your project first. Focusing on freelancers who have let you down, instead of going forward and working with freelancers you can rely on, strikes me a waste of your time.

Thank you for deconstructing the overall structure and processes of Upwork. I am asking more about a system of accountability for freelancers (especially related to the still-somewhat-elusive coding) so that clients do not get continuously swindled out of their money. A lack of accountability and continuing to allow these individuals to prosper on this platform would open the gateway to class-action lawsuits. Is there any way to directly contact Upwork? The fact that we are self-facilitating our own problems is already speaking volumes.

re: "Is there any way to directly contact Upwork?"

If you want to talk about problems with Upwork generally, or suggestions, then the best way to do so is here in the Community Forum.

Upwork employees are assigned to monitor the discussions here and report back to top executives. Forum moderators (who are Upwork employees) may also weigh in with additional insight.

Many of the productive changes that Upwork makes have their beginnings as discussions here in the Forum.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry you've had issues with a contract. We have dispute and refund processes in place for fixed-price contracts. Check out this help article for more information about it.

We'll have one of our agents contact you with further information and assistance with your concern.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Preston H wrote:

Within 30 days after the last payment was released to a freelancer, it is POSSIBLE to contact Upwork Customer Support to request dispute/mediation for already released payments.

Wrong.

It is 30 days from the date when the last milestone was funded. (which is why I asked for that date above)

It is irrelevant for dispute purposes when the funds were released. All that matters is when the were funded.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths